GIS Training and Learning
Below are recommended ways to learn about GIS and geospatial technology available to NC State University affiliates.
Librarians regularly offer GIS-related workshops. Go here and search within the various workshop categories for what may interest you.
NC State University GIS Courses
Listing of courses offered through the Center for Geospatial Analytics.
[Formerly known as Virtual Campus and E-Learning]
Unlimited web-based GIS training courses are available to NC State University affiliates at no charge through an ArcGIS Online account. Non NC State University affiliates may have full access through your own license -- but if not, Esri offers many of the introductory courses for free to anyone.
To begin, you must have an ArcGIS Online account that has "Esri Access" enabled. When you request an ArcGIS Online account from OIT, they will automatically enable Esri access. If your current ArcGIS Online account does not currently have Esri access enabled, request activation via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once your ArcGIS Online accout is activated for E-Learning, you may go to Esri's Training website at any time and choose the online courses you wish to take. On the website, choose "Catalog" to begin searching. Choose the Format you prefer in the Formats section. Instructor-led courses are not free under our site license.
If you have further questions about E-Learning, please contact Data Services.
LinkedIn Learning has excellent online tutorial videos on a wide range of technology topics, including GIS and related software. These courses and videos are highly recommend. LinkedIn Learning details | Direct link for logging in
If you want to learn or are using QGIS, it is well documented on their website.
YouTube sites worth mentioning for videos:
- Esri Channel - look for Technical Workshops and other events that provide a lot of instruction. PDF versions of slides are archived here.
- NC GIS Conference - Recordings from conference presentations.
- FOSS4G, FOSS4G North America, and FOSS4G Search - Numerous channels of videos from "Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial" events.
- QGIS North America - QGIS Conference videos
In-Person Classroom Training
NC State University's ITRE offers many classroom based courses at their facility on Centennial Campus. See course listing and schedule.
- The NC State University Libraries has many books and journals on GIS topics you can find by searching our catalog. Sites for help with specific issues include stackexchange, GeoNet, and many blogs and twitter feeds.
- SAS Academic Hub (click the FAQ link for the Academic Hub) covers uses of SAS and JMP for statistical analyses and data visualization.
- The Esri GIS Bibliography indexes the contents of many conference proceedings, printed articles, and publications, and is a great place to search for literature and research on geospatial topics.