Open researchers collaborate, present data, and communicate findings in a transparent way. Their goal is to make the research process and results accessible to all levels of society. If the research is scientific, it is sometimes referred to as "open science."
NCSU Libraries Supports Open Research
- Author Identifiers
- Data Repositories
- Open Education
- Jekyll Academic
- Scholar's Backpack
- Summer of Open Science
Open Research Tools
- Markdown - a lightweight markup language, can be easily converted to HTML and other formats.
- LaTeX (pronounced 'lah-tech' or 'lay-tech') - often used by those who need to include mathematical equations in their writing.
- Pandoc - document converter than can be used to convert documents to other formats (e.g. Markdown to HTML).
- GitHub, a web-based Git repository hosting service, supports open research in various ways, including the ability to create DOIs for repositories.
- Bitbucket and GitLab are other web-based repositories that use the Git version control system
Writing platforms created specifically for academic writing may include real-time collaborative editing, templates, version control, support for multiple markup languages, and the ability to add interactive figures, live data, and equations.
Computational Notebook Environments
Can contain executable code, rich text, mathematics, plots, and other rich media. Can be used as tools for exploratory computation and data analysis and provide a platform to support reproducible research.
- IPython notebooks - plain text files; easy to share and place under version control.
- Jupyter notebooks - language-agnostic components of IPython; support over 40 programming languages.
"Open notebook science" refers to a lab notebook that is made freely available. Wikis and blogs are often used to manage open notebooks.
Open Science Framework
The Open Science Framework (OSF) provides free and open source project management support across the entire research lifecycle, functioning as a collaboration tool, a workflow system, and a repository. OSF also provides integration with other tools, such as TeX and GitHub.