The Libraries' collections reflect the strengths of the university across disciplines. We provide demand-driven, network-based collections to the campus community in support of research and teaching. We are recognized as a national leader in building extensive research holdings in the areas of engineering, science, technology, and agriculture. Contact a subject specialist to discuss your collections needs.
We encourage the NC State community to suggest additions to the Libraries' collection. We evaluate requests based on the NC State University Libraries' collection policy and availability of funds. Materials that support the research and teaching programs of the university are given first priority.
- Free interlibrary loan is available through Tripsaver
- Articles are delivered online, usually within in two business days.
- Books within the Triangle Research Libraries Network can be physically delivered within two business days.
- NC State faculty and students can also visit and borrow materials directly from those institutions.
- A consortium of the research libraries at NC State, Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Renowned for its research collections and excellent services.
- Second largest academic research collection in the country, with combined collections of over 23 million volumes.
- Search TRLN for all TRLN collections in a single catalog.
- Make a Tripsaver request for an item, or use your NC State Faculty ID card to borrow materials directly from these libraries.
Through the NC State University Libraries' membership in CRL, NC State students and scholars also have access to the Center's significant research collections. Search CRL's online catalog or browse the CRL Topic Guides to see what is available.
The Special Collections Research Center identifies and collects rare and unique materials to support and promote research, scholarship and teaching in key subject areas supporting corresponding strengths in the Libraries' collections. The Center includes the University Archives, which collects, preserves and makes accessible resources that document the growth and development of the university.
- Citations to scholarly publications produced by NC State faculty and researchers since 1997 (limited pre-1997 coverage).
- NC State Electronic Theses and Dissertations completed since 2002.
- Technical Reports Series with research reports by colleges, departments, institutes, and research centers at NC State University.
The Library System
- D.H. Hill Jr. Library in the heart of the university’s North Campus holds the vast majority of the Libraries’ collections. The Special Collections Research Center within Hill Library houses historical and unique materials for instruction and research.
- Harrye B. Lyons Design Library supports the College of Design and has collection emphases in architecture, landscape architecture, graphic design, industrial design, and art and design.
- Natural Resources Library houses collections in support of the College of Natural Resources and the Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences.
- James B. Hunt Jr. Library, located on NC State’s Centennial Campus, supports the curriculum and research programs in engineering, computer science, and textiles.
- William Rand Kenan, Jr. Library of Veterinary Medicine holds collections in support of research and curriculum for the College of Veterinary Medicine.