Building: D. H. Hill Jr. Library
Floor: Second Floor, Tower
The Innovation Studio is a new type of learning space for the Libraries that focuses on showcasing the innovative work of NC State’s students and faculty and teaching innovation methods to the campus community.
This new program builds on our prior work in developing impactful learning spaces, such as the Hill Library’s Makerspace and the Hunt Library’s Teaching & Visualization Lab; teaching emerging literacies, such as data science skills and virtual reality creation; and storytelling in digital and physical space, such as the Hunt Library Technology Showcase and Video Walls. The Innovation Studio includes a digital platform that continually highlights student and faculty innovations using a novel interactive projection experience.
Call for Collaborations
Innovation Studio Workshops
We invite campus groups and courses across disciplines to request a workshop or special event. Learn more and request a workshop
- Exhibits / Art
Room specs & details
The Innovation Studio is equipped with a unique exhibits platform built around interactive projection on the tables in the space. Four projection surfaces of 10’ by 5’ are formed by four tables coming together in each of the Studio’s four quadrants. A 4K projector delivers content onto each of the tables, while a 3D Depth Camera senses users’ hand motions as they interact with what’s projected. The experience is driven by a software application built especially for the NC State University Libraries by Relative Scale, a Raleigh-based firm with multiple NC State alumni on its staff.
The Innovation Studio can easily transform to be used for workshops and events. The exhibits platform can be turned off, the tables reconfigured, and the room also has three standard projectors with drop-down screens that can be used for presentations and hands-on workshops.
How do I get there?
- Enter the Hill Library from the Hillsborough St. entrance.
- Go straight through the gates and turn left.
- Continue down the hallway until you reach the stairs and elevator.
- Take the stairs or elevator to the first floor (1U).
- Continue straight across the lobby.
- Turn left before entering the Learning Commons.
- Continue straight past the right side of Ask Us and around the brick wall to the elevators.
- Take the elevators up to the second floor.
- Turn left out of the elevator bay
- Continue straight into the South Tower.
- After passing the main stairs, turn left and continue toward the elevators.
- The Innovation Studio entrance is on your left across from the elevator bay.
- Who do I contact?