The Data Experience Lab (DXL) is the NC State University Libraries’ community hub for data science, visualization, and digital research and scholarship. Located on the third floor of Hill Library, it offers collaboration space, computing resources, and drop-in support for anyone in the NC State community working with data, creating visualizations, using geospatial methodologies, or employing new digital methods and approaches. DXL staff have expertise in various areas and can help you learn new skills or develop a project. We'd love for you to be part of our community!
Get Help With Your Project
Get help with data science, visualization, digital research and scholarship topics, and tools such as R and Python.
We make decisions about longer-term collaborations on a case-by-case basis, based on existing expertise and capacity. Let us know what you’re working on, what questions you have, and how you would like to collaborate.
Our reservable PC and iMac Pro workstations, located in both the Hill Library's Data Experience Lab and the Hunt Library's Dataspace, are optimized for data-intensive work with high-end graphic processors, enough RAM and storage for large projects, and software for data analysis and visualization.
A research development program designed to advance a project from idea to proof-of-concept. Facilitators guide participants through a cohort-based collaborative experience that introduces open research principles and strategies. Apply for the next cohort.
A visualization project that explores the interplay of art, nature, culture, shape, perspective, and math in our everyday lives.
We used free software to create a packed circle chart visualizing Chemistry department co-authorship with other NC State departments.
We helped develop a workplan using GIS software to extract air pollution values from rasters representing monthly particulate matter data for 2000-2018.
- Digital Research and Scholarship LibrarianComputational Text Analysis, Digital Humanities and Digital Scholarship, Data analysis, Python, R, Data Science and Machine Learning
- NCSU Libraries FellowDigital Pedagogy, Digital Humanities, Python, Data Literacy
- Department Head, Data & Visualization ServicesData & Visualization Services, Visualization, Data Management, Research Impact and Metrics
- Director, Copyright & Digital Scholarship CenterCopyright and Fair Use, Author's Rights and Open Access, Open Pedagogy, Open Education and Alt-Textbooks, Managing Your Scholarly Identity, Managing Your Research Data
- Data & Visualization LibrarianGeographic Information Systems (GIS), Maps, Finding Data, Government Information
- NCSU Libraries Fellow
- Data & Visualization LibrarianVisualization design, Python, Web-based visualization, Creative coding
- Data & Visualization LibrarianData & Visualization Instruction Support, Data & Visualization Services
- Associate Head, Data and Visualization ServicesData Experience Lab (DXL), Dataspace, Data visualization, Data Science Consulting, Data & visualization instruction
- Open Knowledge LibrarianOpen Research and Scholarship, Digital Humanities, Publishing, Scholarly Sharing