About Course Reserves
The NC State University Libraries course reserves system provides valuable readings and other materials that support the instructional requirements of specific courses. Electronic course reserves can be found online. Physical course reserves, such as books and DVDs, are located at Ask Us on the first floor of the Hill Library and the second floor of the Hunt Library. Branch libraries also maintain subject-specific course reserves. Items are loaned to currently registered NC State students and faculty, typically for a period of two hours for books or three hours for media. The location and availability of items can be checked in the catalog. Please note that there are fines for late return of course reserves materials.
Physical course reserves consist of:
- At least one copy of every required textbook for fall and spring semesters.
- Books and other items owned by the Libraries that are assigned as either required or supplemental readings for NC State courses.
- Faculty members' personal copies of materials for their courses. Please note that library staff will take care to protect these items but cannot guarantee their safety and security.
Through the course reserves management system, faculty can request to have library staff create and add physical and digital course reserves to their classes. Please allow up to two weeks for the processing of requests.
Faculty can directly manage nearly every aspect of course reserves online:
- Reactivate and import from past courses
- Upload or link new digital course reserves
- Sort and annotate reserve items
- Integrate reserves listings with Moodle
- Add and remove students and teaching assistants from courses
For students with disabilities
- Course reserves materials may be used in the Assistive Technologies Center at Hill Library.
- All electronic reserves items scanned by library staff are converted into text-searchable PDFs for use with screen-reading software.
- Upon request, library staff can convert instructor-provided scans into text-searchable PDFs.
Course reserves copyright guidelines
The details of our copyright policies can be found here:
- Copyright guidelines for electronic reserves
- Copyright guidelines for print reserves
- Copyright & Digital Scholarship Center