Local and Regional (North Carolina) Data Resources
North Carolina Data Sources
Many public download sites for statewide datasets are listed on the webpages found linked under the Libraries Geodata Collection.
Provides comprehensive discovery and access to North Carolina's geospatial data resources.
Department of Environmental Quality
Open Data website that aggregates data from multiple departments. We'll still keep the links below for the time being, however.
- Air Quality Permits
- Albemarle-Pamlico National Estuary Partnerships - Maps and Data
- Coastal Management - Maps and data downloads
- NC Dams Program - Click the date link under the heading "North Carolina Dam Inventory"
- Waste Management - Maps and data downloads
- Water Resources - Maps and data downloads
- Water Resources - Water Science Section - Data from numerous monitoring and assessment programs
- Animal Feeding Operations Unit: Map | Data
- Division of Mitigation Services
- Land Applications: Map | Data
- Monitoring Coalition Program
- NPDES Wastewater Permitting and Compliance Program - Data is under the "Permit Info" tab
- Stormwater Permitting: Map | Data
- Submerged Aquatic Vegetation Survey
- Water Quality Monitoring Data (STORET)
- Water Resources - Groundwater database
Topographic Map Indexes - 1:24,000, 1:100,000 and 1:250,000 scale index maps from the Division of Energy, Mineral, and Land Resources.
NC Coastal Atlas - Multi-partner mapping and data download site for NC Coastal Plain and Outer Banks data.
NC LIDAR Data download - Includes QL2 (2 points/meter) circa 2010's and legacy data circa early 2000's. Sign up for an NCID to log in if you don't already have one.
U.S. Data Sources
Data downloads, WMS links, and/or access via ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS layer files.
The Esri Maps and Data Group, as well as other groups "owned by Esri" are highly recommended for their various basemap layers. Predominantly US-based data, but also some from international sources.
Comprehensive source for data from federal executive branch agencies in multiple formats.
USGS National Map
Download site for multiple data layers, including topography, hydrography, transportation, geographic names, boundaries, land cover, and more. The Small-Scale collection is good for contextual (overview) or large extent maps as most of the data were compiled at a scale of 1:2,000,000.
Imagery, DEMs, Landcover, and other satellite and derivative data.
USDA Geospatial Data Gateway
Natural resources and environmental data, including soils, climate, and many other features.
USGS Water Resources
Downloadable spatial data files for exploration and analysis of water resources.
US Fish and Wildlife Services
Geospatial Services from the USFWS
US Census Bureau Maps and Data
Links to online resources, including TIGER data, from the Census Bureau.
NOAA National Weather Service
National Weather Service data sets available in downloadable shapefiles, web services and KML files.
Geospatial data and analysis that informs emergency management.
USGS Links to Maps and Other Products
Links to many sources of Aerial Photographs & Satellite Imagery, Digital Maps & Data, Publications, Software, etc.
An inventory of GIS data and directory of GIS people nationwide, maintained by the National States Geographic Information Council.
Global and/or International Data
Open Street Map
Comprehensive crowdsourced data. Several online services provide shapefiles, CAD files, and other formats of OSM data for download:
- OpenStreetMap Wiki - list of providers
- Alternatively, you can generate shapefiles using OSM XML files with OSM Shaper.
Datasets, geo news, and articles from the Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS)
GEOSS international geospatial data and services portal
Maintained by the European Space Agency
UN Food and Agriculture Organization GeoNetwork
Search for spatial databases, digital maps, satellite images and related statistics covering areas worldwide, produced by UN organizations.
Global Change Master Directory
Directory of many earth science data sources and services available worldwide.
- Ordinance Survey OpenData - Government site, free access to selected datasets
- GoGeo - Crowdsourced data
China Data Center
Univ. of Michigan center that provides variety of data resources on China, including GIS