UA 023.010 Guide to the University Archives Photograph Collection, College of Design Photographs, 1930-1997
These photographs have been organized into nine categories based on subject matter. Photographs in the "Faculty, Staff, and Students" category encompass both labeled and unlabeled photographs of people working or studying in the College of Design.
Portions of this collection have been digitized and made available online.
The entire collection, including materials not available online, may be viewed in the Special Collections reading room in D.H. Hill Library.
Try experimental container filtering.
[Box 1, Folder 1]
[Box 1, Folder 2]
[Box 1, Folder 3]
[Box 1, Folder 4]
[Box 1, Folder 5]
[Box 1, Folder 6]
[Box 1, Folder 7]
[Box 1, Folder 8]
[Box 1, Folder 9]
[Box 1, Folder 10]
[Legal Box 3, Folder 1]
[Box 1, Folder 11]
[Box 1, Folder 12]
[Box 1, Folder 13]
[Box 2, Folder 1]
[Box 2, Folder 2]
[Box 2, Folder 3]
[Box 2, Folder 4]
[Box 2, Folder 5]
[Box 2, Folder 6]
1.5 Linear feet
General Physical Description note
1 archival box, 1 archival half box, 1 archival legal box
For current information on the location of these materials, please consult the Special Collections Research Center Reference Staff .
Transferred by the North Carolina State University College of Design, 16 June 2000, accession number 3544.
Processed by: Kelly Clark, January 2008;machine-readable finding aid created by: Kelly Clark, January 2008
2014 March, Finding aid updated to include addition to the collection by Cathy Dorin-Black, 2014 March
The University Archives Photograph Collection, College of Design Photographs, 1930-1997, mainly includes photographs of faculty, staff, and students; general photographs of academic life within the College of Design; photographs of exhibits, displays, and specific art, architecture, landscape architecture, and industrial design projects; and a few photographs of Brooks Hall. There are also some miscellaneous photographs, publications, and other items.
The North Carolina State University College of Design, known originally as the School of Design, was officially founded in 1948. Education in architecture and architectural engineering at NC State began in 1920-1921 with the development of a bachelor's program in architectural engineering administrated through the School of Engineering. In 1927, Architectural Engineering became a department within the School of Engineering, and the department changed its name to the Department of Architecture and Architectural Engineering in 1940 when it added a bachelor's program in architecture. In 1946, the board of trustees of the Consolidated University of North Carolina approved the establishment of the School of Architecture and Landscape Design at NC State, largely responding to the post-World War II boom in building. The name of the school was shortened to School of Design at its opening in 1948.
In the late 1950s, in addition to the departments of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, the school added a new department granting degrees in product design. In its early years, under the leadership of founding dean Henry L. Kamphoefner, who served from 1948-1973, the School of Design attracted a faculty of talented designers and theorists, such as Buckminster Fuller, Matthew Nowicki, Lewis Mumford, and Eduardo Catalano. The school also brough in lecturers including Frank Lloyd Wright, Mies van der Rohe, Walter Gropius, Louis I. Kahn, Pier Luigi Nervi, Charles Eames, Marcel Breuer, and other prominent designers.
In 2000, the School of Design was renamed the College of Design, at which point the Department of Architecture was renamed the School of Architecture. The College of Design now houses the departments of Graphic Design, Landscape Architecture, Industrial Design, and Art and Design. The College of Design is located in Brooks Hall.
Alternate Form of Material
Access to Collection
This collection is open for research; access requires at least 24 hours advance notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, fax, or our web form.
Special Collections Research Center
[Identification of item], University Archives Photograph Collection, College of Design Photographs, UA 023.010, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC
Access to Collection
The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Access to Collection
This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.