D. H. Hill Library
D. H. (Daniel Harvey) Hill, Jr. Born in 1859 in Davidson, North Carolina, D. H. Hill, Jr. received his B.A., M.A., and Litt.D. Degrees from Davidson College in 1880, 1886, and 1905, respectively. In 1910, the University of North Carolina conferred a Doctor of Law degree on Hill. Hill served as a professor of English at Middle Georgia Military and Agricultural College (later Georgia Military College) at Milledgeville, Georgia from 1880 to 1889. In 1889, Hill became a professor of English and bookkeeping at North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (now NC State University), one of the first six faculty members. He also served as the college's first librarian. In 1908, Hill was elected President of the college, the first "insider" to hold the position, and he served until 1916. During this time, the Agricultural Extension Service was established and the college's enrollment grew to more than 700. Hill died in 1924 in Blowing Rock, North Carolina.
James B. Hunt Jr. Library
James Baxter Hunt, Jr. (1937- ) was Democratic governor of North Carolina, 1977-1985 and 1993-2001. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in agricultural education and a Master’s degree in agricultural economics from North Carolina State University, where he served two terms as student body president, as well as a Juris Doctorate from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. After serving as Lieutenant Governor from 1973 to 1977, Hunt served two terms as Governor, 1977-1981 and 1981-1985. In 1984 he waged an unsuccessful campaign to unseat Republican Jesse Helms as United States Senator from North Carolina. Hunt returned to elected office in 1993, after winning a third term as Governor by defeating Republican Lieutenant Governor James C. Gardner. In 1996 he was elected to a fourth term over Republican state Representative Robin Hayes. Hunt left office in 2001.
Harrye B. Lyons Design Library
Mrs. Harrye B. Lyons. The School of Design was founded in 1948; in 1968, the Design Library was named for Mrs. Harrye B. Lyons, who was the first design librarian and head of the Design Library from 1947 to 1968. During Mrs. Lyons' tenure, the Design Library grew from a small collection into a library with 11,000 volumes. Under her direction the library outgrew its original location in the front of Brooks Hall and moved to its current location at the back of Brooks Hall. See the article about the dedication of the Design Library to Mrs. Harrye Lyons in the Technician on May 1, 1968 (on the second page).
William Rand Kenan, Jr. Library of Veterinary Medicine
William Rand Kenan, Jr. was born in North Carolina. Following his graduation from the University of North Carolina in 1894, he contributed to progress in a variety of fields, including education, engineering, agriculture, finance, business, and science. In 1921, he purchased Randleigh Farm, in Lockport, New York, which became a leading dairy farm and a nexus for dairy health research. Kenan collaborated with several veterinarians and scientists at Randleigh Farm on a variety of topics related to the breeding, feeding, milking, milk handling, and milk production of Jersey cows with the ultimate goal being, "a cleaner and better milk supply for mankind." After his death in 1965, the Kenan Jersey cattle were relocated to North Carolina and the descendants of the Randleigh Jersey cattle currently reside at the NCSU Dairy Education Unit. In 2006, North Carolina State University's Veterinary Medicine Library was officially dedicated as the William Rand Kenan, Jr. Library of Veterinary Medicine.