LinkedIn Learning is an online video training library with thousands of expert-created courses covering technology, software, hardware, business, career-building, creativity, and more. LinkedIn Learning is designed for all levels of learners. Videos are available at all times and can be viewed on any internet-connected device, including your mobile phone. LinkedIn Learning is available at no charge to any current NC State Unity student, faculty, or staff member with a Unity ID.
- Students can use LinkedIn Learning to increase their media and physical making skills, learn programming, build better resumes, become adept at data analysis and visualization, hone software techniques, and earn credentials by following learning paths.
- Faculty can supplement their curricula and textbooks with videos and online materials, embrace the flipped-classroom model, build collections of courses to offer to students for help with multimodal assignments, and share their own videos as part of these collections.
- Staff can enhance their understanding of new technologies, embrace professional development opportunities and earn credentials, learn creative skills, and supplement expertise with updated training modules.
- High quality: LinkedIn Learning offers a diverse range of high quality content, and is growing daily
- Unlimited access: NC State Unity Users have unlimited access. Choose from more than 13,000 video tutorials covering technology, software, creative, professional development, business, and other topics.
- Curated content: LinkedIn learning provides personalized recommendations. Explore the most in-demand skills based on your experience.
- Incredible instructors: Experts create the content on LinkedIn Learning. Learn from industry leaders, all in one place, and in high quality.
- Convenience and access: You can access LinkedIn Learning from any internet connected device on your schedule.
- Easy-to-search videos: Videos are easy to search and navigate to get to what you need fast. They are transcripted so they can be “read,” and allow you to take notes within them for future reference.
- Helpful resources: Reinforce new knowledge with quizzes, exercise files and coding practice windows.
Do I need to have a LinkedIn Profile to use LinkedIn Learning?
No. You have access to LinkedIn Learning as a member of the NC State community whether you choose to have a LinkedIn profile or not. As part of the LinkedIn Learning registration process, you are offered the opportunity to connect your LinkedIn Learning account with your LinkedIn profile, which offers automated benefits, but is not required (see below).
Should I combine my LinkedIn profile with my LinkedIn Learning account?
Linking your existing LinkedIn profile to your LinkedIn Learning account allows LinkedIn and LinkedIn Learning to share biographical, career, and online learning information across both platforms in order to customize your experience. If you choose to link your LinkedIn profile, you will be prompted to login to both platforms when accessing LinkedIn Learning from any new browser of device. If you choose not to link your LinkedIn profile when initially activating your LinkedIn Learning account, you can do this later via the Profile settings in LinkedIn Learning. If you later decide to unlink your LinkedIn and LinkedIn Learning accounts, please contact the Digital Media Librarian, Jason Evans Groth, to request this.
What benefits do I get if I choose to connect my LinkedIn Profile with LinkedIn Learning?
From the LinkedIn website: “LinkedIn Learning combines high-quality courses with insights from LinkedIn data to provide you with personalized course recommendations based on your current job, skills, and what professionals like you are learning. With LinkedIn Learning, you’ll also get access to LinkedIn’s Premium Career features, like InMail, access to who’s viewed their profile, and competitive insights on other job applicants.”
What happens to my LinkedIn Learning access once I graduate/retire/separate from NC State?
Due to the terms of our license agreement with LinkedIn Learning, access to this learning tool will cease once you have separated from the university. LinkedIn has an optional paid premium subscription service which comes with access to LinkedIn Learning. You will be required to create a LinkedIn profile, if you don't already have one, in order to access the LinkedIn Learning component of this membership model. LinkedIn Learning provides more information about this at their website.
How do I access LinkedIn Learning?
LinkedIn Learning can be accessed anywhere using this link. LinkedIn Learning will be accessible on any internet-connected computer (on and off campus) by any NC State University student, faculty, or staff member with an active Unity ID. For a step-by-step guide on how to sign-in, please click here.
For more information contact Jason Evans Groth, Digital Media Librarian for Learning Spaces and Services.
Last Edited: Sep 6, 2019
If you need more help, please Ask Us.