My #HuntLibrary is a participatory digital service designed to encourage visitors to document their Hunt Library experience using the social media platform Instagram.
The development of this project coincided with the lead-up to the launch of NC State's new James B. Hunt Jr. Library. My #HuntLibrary serves as an anchor activity for the Hunt Library opening events by helping to foster a sense of community ownership of the new building. Images from this crowdsourced documentation effort will be selected to become part of our permanent digital collections, allowing the NC State community to contribute to the historical record of the Hunt Library through image submissions as well as the use of voting tools.
This project is a collaboration between Digital Library Initiatives, External Relations, the Special Collections Research Center, and the Hunt Opening and Dedication Committee.
How We Did It
My #HuntLibrary is a Ruby on Rails application that utilizes responsive design techniques. Although this application is deployed in support of the Hunt Library launch, the underlying architecture is quite flexible and has been released as open-source under the name "lentil".
My #HuntLibrary features include:
- Harvesting of image metadata based on sets of tags via the Instagram API
- Image moderation
- Extensive responsive interfaces serving channels ranging from mobile devices to large display walls
- Crowdsourced curation tools, including "like" and "battle" (i.e. this-or-that) voting
- Digital preservation rights clearance and image ingest framework
- Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) Gold Award for Best Uses of Social Media, 2014
- CASE Award of Excellence for Best Practices in Communications and Marketing, 2013-2014
- ALA Cutting Edge Services Award, February 2014
- 2014 John Cotton Dana Library Public Relations Award, April 2014
- Casden, J., Nutt, M., Lown, C., Davidson, B. (2013). "My #HuntLibrary: Using Instagram to Crowdsource the Story of a New Library.", ACRL TechConnect. April 29, 2013.
- Casden, J. and Lown, C. (2013). "My #HuntLibrary: Collecting student images", Code4Lib 2013 Lightning Talks. Chicago, IL, Feburary 14, 2013.
- Jason CasdenFormer Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Mike NuttData Experience Manager
- Bret DavidsonFormer Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Brian DietzLead Librarian for Collections Stewardship and Discovery
- Jason RonalloDepartment Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Jennifer GarrettAssociate Director for Organizational Design, Equity, & Talent
- Cory LownFormer NCSU Libraries staff member