North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, Office of the Director Records 1907-2010

Creator
North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service
Size
130.45 linear feet (246 archival boxes, 5 legal boxes, 2 half boxes, 3 flatboxes, 1 carton, 1 flatfolder); 324 Megabytes (116 Files)
Call number
UA 102.001
Access to materials

Portions of this collection (particularly in the Philip Bazemore Case series) have restricted access; the remainder of this collection is open for research; access requires at least 48 hours advance notice. Because of the nature of certain archival formats, including digital and audio-visual materials, access will require additional advanced notice. Copies of digital files may be provided for use in the SCRC Reading Room upon request.

The North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, Office of the Director Records contain correspondence, memoranda, brochures, budgets, reports, project agreements, legal documents, datasets, training documents, scrapbooks, videocassettes, photographs, CD-ROMs, and floppy disks. Topics covered include the day-to-day administrative functions of Cooperative Extension, special training programs, awards ceremonies, state legislation, projects funded by the Southern Region Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program, partnerships with commercial agricultural growers' associations, and the civil case Philip Bazemore versus William Friday. Materials range in date from 1907 to 2010.

From its inception as the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, North Carolina State University has been deeply involved in outreach and extension work. In the 1890s and early 1900s, college personnel took part in numerous Farmer's Institutes statewide, where they and state Agriculture Department personnel met with local farmers to discuss farm improvement techniques. In 1907 James A. Butler became North Carolina's first county agent, hired to conduct demonstration work in boll weevil eradication. Greatly boosting extension work, the 1914 Smith-Lever Act provided for federal, state, and county cooperation in creating a system to expand demonstration and extension work for men and women. The law authorized land-grant colleges to sign memoranda of understanding with the United States Department of Agriculture to begin such work. With this, NC State created a new Department of Extension. The county offices report to Extension administration, based jointly at NC State University and North Carolina A&T University. Through this system, Cooperative Extension aims to disseminate information about food and agriculture, health and nutrition, and youth development. This is accomplished through partnerships, programs, publications, and expertise on the local level.

Biographical/historical note

From its inception as the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts, North Carolina State University has been deeply involved in outreach and extension work. In the 1890s and early 1900s, college personnel took part in numerous Farmer's Institutes statewide, where they and state Agriculture Department personnel met with local farmers to discuss farm improvement techniques. In 1907 James A. Butler became North Carolina's first county agent, hired to conduct demonstration work in boll weevil eradication.

In 1909, NC State expanded its extension efforts when it signed a memorandum of agreement with the United States Department of Agriculture to develop cooperatively Farmers' Boys' Clubs, or Corn Clubs. Ira O. Schaub became the first director of this program, which eventually grew into 4-H. The first Girls' Clubs, focusing primarily on tomato canning and gardening, were established after Jane McKimmon was hired in 1911 to lead a statewide Home Demonstration program. In 1910, Neil Alexander Bailey became the first African American agricultural extension agent. At this time, agricultural extension programs in the South were segregated with African American work in North Carolina based out of North Carolina Agricultural and Mechanical College (now North Carolina A&T University). The first club for African-American youth was created in Sampson County under the leadership of G.W. Herring in 1914. John Wray became the first statewide African American youth club agent in 1915. African American Home Demonstration clubs were first organized in 1918.

Greatly boosting extension work, the 1914 Smith-Lever Act provided for federal, state, and county cooperation in creating a system to expand demonstration and extension work for men and women. The law authorized land-grant colleges to sign memoranda of understanding with the United States Department of Agriculture to begin such work. With this, NC State created a new Department of Extension, and this organization has developed over the past century to become today's North Carolina Cooperative Extension.

During World War II, extension programs played a vital role in the local war effort. The postwar years saw the Extension Division move closer administratively to the College's School of Agriculture. In 1950 a reorganization of the School of Agriculture brought the three fields of work - teaching, research, and extension - into the direct orbit of the School.

Following the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the segregated systems of Extension were merged. A class action lawsuit filed in 1971 accused the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service of racial discrimination in salary disparity and job promotions. Known as the Philip Bazemore case, it was resolved in 1990 after going to the Supreme Court of the United States.

Economic difficulties in the 1970s saw the Extension Service increase its activities in rural food production and nutrition, including the Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program (EFNEP). Extension also worked with farmers facing serious economic troubles to better their situations. In 1991, the North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service changed its name to the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service to better reflect a shift in activities beyond the development of state and local agriculture.

North Carolina Cooperative Extension, as it has since its origins, connects community members with resources they need through a system of county offices and agents. The county offices report to Extension administration, based jointly at NC State University and North Carolina A&T University. Through this system, Cooperative Extension aims to disseminate information about food and agriculture, health and nutrition, and youth development. This is accomplished through partnerships, programs, publications, and expertise on the local level.

List of Directors
1914-1924
Benjamin Kilgore
1924-1950
Ira O. Schaub
1950-1961
David S. Weaver
1961-1963
Robert W. Shoffner
1963-1978
George Hyatt
1978-1982
T. Carlton Blalock
1982-1990
Chester D. Black
1990-1994
Robert C. Wells
1996-2010
Jon Ort
2010-2015
Joseph Zublena
2016-
A. Rich Bonanno

Scope/content

The North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, Office of the Director Records contain correspondence, memoranda, brochures, budgets, reports, project agreements, legal documents, datasets, training documents, scrapbooks, videocassettes, photographs, CD-ROMs, and floppy disks. Topics covered include the day-to-day administrative functions of Cooperative Extension, special training programs, awards ceremonies, state legislation, projects funded by the Southern Region Sustainable Agriculture, partnerships with commercial agricultural growers' associations, and the civil case Philip Bazemore versus William Friday. Materials range in date from 1907 to 2010.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged in four series: 1. Administrative; 2. Project Proposals; 3. Southern Region Sustainable Agriculture and Research Education (SARE); 4. Philip Bazemore Case

Use of these materials

The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, Office of the Director Records, UA 102.001, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC

Source of acquisition

Transferred from the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service

Processing information

Processed by: Cathy Dorin-Black, 2017 December; Finding aid written by: Cathy Dorin-Black, 2017 December

Access to the collection

Portions of this collection (particularly in the Philip Bazemore Case series) have restricted access; the remainder of this collection is open for research; access requires at least 48 hours advance notice. Because of the nature of certain archival formats, including digital and audio-visual materials, access will require additional advanced notice. Copies of digital files may be provided for use in the SCRC Reading Room upon request.

For more information contact us via mail, phone, or our web form.

Mailing address:
Special Collections Research Center
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC, 27695-7111

Phone: (919) 515-2273

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service, Office of the Director Records, UA 102.001, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC

Use of these materials

The nature of the NCSU Libraries' Special Collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The NCSU Libraries claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which North Carolina State University assumes no responsibility.