The Owen Franklin Smith Architectural Drawings and Papers contain drawings, photographs of and some papers of buildings designed by Owen Franklin Smith from 1927 to 1990. The buildings represented include elementary classroom buildings for colored schools in Fremont, North Carolina and Harrellsville, North Carolina, the Hayes Barton Baptist Church, the office building for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation, residences for local community members, and Page Hall at North Carolina State University.
Owen Franklin Smith was believed to be the oldest registered architect in the state of North Carolina when he passed away on September 5, 2012, having practiced for over 65 years. He was born in Benson, North Carolina, on November 26, 1917 and received a degree in Architectural Engineering from North Carolina State University in 1938. During World War II, he supervised the construction of military facilities until his entry in the United States Navy. He worked for Thomas Coooper, William Deitrick, Ross Shumaker and Eric Flanagan Sr. before opening up his own practice in 1946, which he maintained until 2011. The office building for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation in Raleigh, North Carolina, is one of his best known commercial works. He was a member of Hayes Barton Baptist Church beginning in 1943 and actively served the church as teacher, advisor and architect on three building projects. His work included office buildings, modernist homes, churches and over 200 school projects. He won design awards for the Farm Bureau buildings, Lynn Road School, Bertie County High School and the sanctuary of Hayes Barton Baptist Church.
Owen Franklin Smith was believed to be the oldest registered architect in the state of North Carolina when he passed away on September 5, 2012, having practiced for over 65 years. He was born in Benson, North Carolina, on November 26, 1917 and received a degree in Architectural Engineering from North Carolina State University in 1938. During World War II, he supervised the construction of military facilities until his entry in the United States Navy. He worked for Thomas Coooper, William Deitrick, Ross Shumaker and Eric Flanagan Sr. before opening up his own practice in 1946, which he maintained until 2011. The office building for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation in Raleigh, North Carolina, is one of his best known commercial works. He was a member of Hayes Barton Baptist Church beginning in 1943 and actively served the church as teacher, advisor and architect on three building projects. His work included office buildings, modernist homes, churches and over 200 school projects. He won design awards for the Farm Bureau buildings, Lynn Road School, Bertie County High School and the sanctuary of Hayes Barton Baptist Church.
The Owen Franklin Smith Architectural Drawings and Papers contain drawings, photographs of and some papers of buildings designed by Owen Franklin Smith from 1927 to 1990. The buildings represented include elementary classroom buildings for colored schools in Fremont, North Carolina and Harrellsville, North Carolina, the Hayes Barton Baptist Church, the office building for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation, residences for local community members, and Page Hall at North Carolina State University.
This collection is arranged into two series.
The NC State University Libraries generally claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. Libraries staff are unable to advise on copyright and other legal matters; the user assumes full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Helpful resources for assessing copyright include Cornell Libraries' "Copyright Services: Copyright Term and the Public Domain" and copyright.gov. This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information about identifiable living individuals, which may be protected under federal or state laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that there may be legal ramifications for disclosing this information.
The University Archives operates in accordance with the State Public Records Act, with unrestricted access to records not covered by state and federal statutes and regulations.
[Identification of item], Owen Franklin Smith Architectural Drawings and Papers, MC 00475, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC
Gift of Owen Franklin Smith, Jr. March 2013 (accession no. 2013.0051)
Processed by Meaghan Lanier, June 2013
The Drawings series contains architectural drawings of Owen Franklin Smith. Buildings represented include the Hayes Barton Baptist Church, the office building for the North Carolina Farm Bureau Federation and Page Hall at North Carolina State University.
Items in this series are arranged in the order in which they were received. They are listed alphabetically.
"Elementary Classroom Building, Fremont Colored School, Fremont, North Carolina" is the original folder title. The term used is racist, outdated, and harmful, but we have retained it to preserve the original context and to support searching with terms common to a specific time period. Read more about our approach to handling harmful language in About Reparative Archival Description.
"Elementary Classroom Building, Harrellsville Colored School, Harrellsville, North Carolina" is the original folder title. The term used is racist, outdated, and harmful, but we have retained it to preserve the original context and to support searching with terms common to a specific time period. Read more about our approach to handling harmful language in About Reparative Archival Description.
Items in the Papers series include photographs and floorplans of buildings designed by Owen Franklin Smith, as well as a few pieces of correspondence.
Items in this series are arranged in the order in which they were received.
This collection is open for research; access requires at least 48 hours advance notice. Because of the nature of certain archival formats, including digital and audio-visual materials, access to digital files may require additional advanced notice.
For more information contact us via mail, phone, or our web form.
Mailing address:
Special Collections Research Center
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC, 27695-7111
Phone: (919) 515-2273
[Identification of item], Owen Franklin Smith Architectural Drawings and Papers, MC 00475, Special Collections Research Center, North Carolina State University Libraries, Raleigh, NC
The NC State University Libraries generally claims only physical ownership of most Special Collections materials. These materials are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. Libraries staff are unable to advise on copyright and other legal matters; the user assumes full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Helpful resources for assessing copyright include Cornell Libraries' "Copyright Services: Copyright Term and the Public Domain" and copyright.gov. This collection may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information about identifiable living individuals, which may be protected under federal or state laws and regulations. Researchers are advised that there may be legal ramifications for disclosing this information.
The University Archives operates in accordance with the State Public Records Act, with unrestricted access to records not covered by state and federal statutes and regulations.