This reading/resource list is provided as a guide to the potential candidates for the VTS- Surgery exam. This list is not intended to be all inclusive, but is a representation of the level and depth of knowledge the candidates are expected to possess. All exam questions will be referenced from one of these resources.
|Library Tips||More Info|
Title - Author - ISBN - Publisher - Format - Subject
- ACVS Symposium Proceedings. multiple. 2007-2013. Conference proceeding notes.
- Pain Management for the Small Animal Practitioner. William Tranquilli, Kurt Grimm, Leigh Lamont. 1-893441-07-5. Teton NewMedia 2004. Spiral soft cover notebook. Analgesia
- Hill’s Atlas of Veterinary Clinical Anatomy. Hill’s Pet Nutrition – 2004. Spiral soft cover notebook. Anatomy. [available free online from Hill's]
- Exotic Animal Medicine for the Veterinary Technician 2nd edition. Bonnie M. Ballard, Ryan Cheek, editors. 978-0-8138-2206-8. Wiley – Blackwell 2010. Book. Exotics
- Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents Clinical Medicine and Surgery 3rd ed. Katherine Quesenberry, James Carpenter. Saunders 2012. Book. Exotics
- Reptile Medicine and Surgery 2nd ed.. [also available online] Mader. 2005. 978-0721693279. Elsevier. Book. Reptile
- Veterinary Diagnostic Imaging, The Dog and Cat, Vol. 1 Charles Farrow, DVM, DACVR. Mosby 2003. Book. Imaging [also available online]
- Veterinary Instruments and Equipment. Teresa F. Sonsthagen, BS, LVT. 978-0-323-03203-2. Elsevier. Book. Instruments
Large Animal Surgery
- Equine Surgery 4th ed. [also available online] Auer & Stick. 2012. 13:978-1-4160-0123-2. Elsevier. Book. LA surgery
- Turner & McIlwraith's Techniques in Large Animal Surgery (4th Ed) [also available online]. Hendrickson/Baird. Wiley. 2013
Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery: Principles and Instrumentation. Jennifer Lansdowne, DVM; Stephen Mehler, DVM; Ludovic Boure, DVM. Vetlearn.com. May 2012. Periodical. “Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians.”Minimally invasive abdominal and thoracic surgery
- Minimally Invasive Abdominal and Thoracic Surgery: Techniques. Jennifer Lansdowne, DVM; Stephen Mehler, DVM; Ludovic Boure, DVM. Vetlearn.com. May 2012. Periodical. “Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians.”Minimally invasive abdominal and thoracic surgery
- AO Principles of Fracture Management in the Dog and Cat. A. Johnson, J. Houlton, & R. Vannini.AO publishing 2005. Book. Orthopedics
- Small Animal Arthroscopy. Beale, Hulse, Schultz and Whitney. 978-0-7216-8969-2. Elsevier (Saunders) 2003. Book. Orthopedics [also available online]
- Clinician's Brief. Various. 2007-2014.
- Handbook of Veterinary Drugs, 3rd ed. Papich. Saunders 2011. Book. Pharmaceuticals.
- Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy, 2nd ed.. Darryl Millis, David Levine. Elsevier 2004. Book. Rehab [also available online]
- Essential Facts of Physiotherapy in Dogs and Cats, Rehabilitation and Pain Management, A Reference guide w/DVD. B.Bochstahler, D. Levine, R. A. Taylor. Elsevier 2004. Book. Rehab
- Laser Therapy in the Companion Animal Practice. Ronald J. Riegel. LiteCure, LLC 2008. Book. Laser therapy
Small Animal General Surgery
- Atlas of Small Animal Reconstructive Surgery 2nd ed. [Library title is Atlas of small animal wound management and reconstructive surgery] Pavletic. Wiley-Blackwell. 2010. SA surgery
- BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Surgical Principles –A Foundation Manual. Stephen Baines, Vicky Lipscomb, Tim Hutchinson. 9781905319-25-1. Wiley-Blackwell 2012. Book. SA Surgery/General Surgery
- Small Animal Surgery, 4th ed. Fossum, Teresa. Elsevier 2013. Book. SA surgery.
- Surgical Sponges in Small Animal Surgery. Zeltzman, P.,Downs, M. MediMedia Animal Health/vetlearn.com. Periodical. Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians. pgs. E1 – E8. SA Surgery/General Surgery
- Textbook of Small Animal Surgery- 3rd Edition (2 volume set). D. Slatter. 978-0-7216-8607-3. Elsevier (Saunders) 2003. Book. SA surgery
- Veterinary Surgery: small animal. Tobias/Johnson. 978-1437707465. Elsevier 2011. Book. SA Surgery
- ANSI/AAMI ST79: 2006 and A1:2008 & A2: 2009 Comprehensive guide to steam sterilization and sterility assurance in health care facilities. American National Standards Institute, Inc. Developed by Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (aami.org).
- Beating the ‘Bugs’: Sterilization is Instrumental. Heidi Reuss-Lamky. . Nov. 2011. Periodical.
- Centers for Disease Control & Prevention. Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities, 2008. www.cdc.gov. Website.
- Guidelines for Reducing Veterinary Hospital Pathogens: Hospital Design and Special Considerations. Joshua A Portner, DVM, DACVECC & Justine A Johnson, DVM, DACVECC. MediMedia Animal Health/ vetlearn.com. May 2010. Periodical. Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians. pgs. E1 – E12.
- Guidelines for Reducing Pathogens in Veterinary Hospitals:Disinfectant Selection, Cleaning Protocols and Hand Hygiene. Joshua A Portner, DVM, DACVECC & Justine A Johnson, DVM, DACVECC. MediMedia Animal Health/ vetlearn.com. May 2010. Periodical. Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians. pgs. E1 – E8. Disinfection
- Veterinary Infection Prevention and Control by Linda Caveney and Barbara Jones, with Kimberly Ellis. 978081381534-3. Wiley-Blackwell 2012. Book. Sterilization/Asepsis
- Ethicon Product Catalog. Catalog. Suture materials.
- Ethicon Wound Closure Manual – long version. Rev. Feb. 2011 Ethicon, Inc. of Johnson & Johnson Co. Suture
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice. Wound Management. July 2006. Book. Wound management
Search the catalog for additional surgery resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Reading/Resource List - Academy of Veterinary Surgical Technicians
Page updated 10/31/2018