American Veterinary Dental College
NCSU CVM does not currently offer a residency in veterinary dentistry at this time, although CVM provides Dentistry Services at the Veterinary Health Complex.
|Books||Journals and Periodicals|
|Library Tips||More Info|
SUGGESTED READING MATERIAL for CANDIDATES AND TRAINEES
The following list is provided as suggested reading material. No attempt is made to restrict examination questions to the material in these references. The examination reflects the current state of knowledge in veterinary dentistry rather than material from a particular group of references. Much of veterinary dental knowledge has been derived from human dentistry. This is reflected in the suggested reading list and will also be reflected in the examination itself.
- Evans HE. Miller’s Anatomy of the Dog. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1993. [4th ed. 2013 also available]
- Ten Cate AR. Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function. 7th ed. St. Louis: CV Mosby, 2008.
- Schroeder HE. Oral Structural Biology. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 1991.
- Tranquilli WJ et al Eds. Lumb & Jones’ Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia. 4th ed. Baltimore : Williams & Wilkins, 2007.
- Anusavice KJ. Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials. 11th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2003.
- Powers, JM. Craig’s Restorative Dental Materials. 12th ed. St. Louis, Mo: Mosby Elsevier, 2006. [Library also has 13th ed. 2012]
- Hargreaves KM, Cohen S. Cohen's pathways of the pulp. 10th ed. St. Louis: CV Mosby, 2010.
- Easley J, Dixon PM, Schumacher J: Equine Dentistry. 3rd, Philadelphia; WB Saunders Co., 2010. [also available as an online book]
- Capello V, Gracis M, Lennox A: Rabbit and Rodent Dentistry, WB Saunders Co., 2005.
- Proffit WR, Fields HW. Contemporary Orthodontics. 4th ed. St. Louis : Mosby-Year Book, 2007.
- Regezi JA, Sciubba J. Oral Pathology - Clinical-Pathologic Correlations. 5th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2008. [Library has 6th ed., 2012]
- Newman MG, Takei HH, Klokkevold PR, Carranza FA: Carranza’s Clinical Periodontology. 11th ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2011.
- Wolf HF, Rateitschak KH, Rateitschak EM, Hassell TM. Color Atlas of Dental Medicine - Periodontology. 3rd ed. New York: Thieme Medical Publishers, 2005.
- DuPont GA, DeBowes LJ: Atlas of Dental Radiography in Dogs and Cats. St. Louis, Mo; Saunders Elsevier, 2009. [also available as online book]
- Mulligan TW, Aller MS, Williams CA. Atlas of Canine & Feline Dental Radiography, Trenton: Veterinary Learning Systems, 1998.
- White SC, Pharoah MJ. Oral Radiology - Principles and Interpretation. 6th ed. St. Louis: CV Mosby, 2009. [7th ed. , 2013 on order]
- Roberson TM, Heyman HO, Swift EJ. Sturdevant's art and science of operative dentistry. 5th ed. 2006 on list. Libraries owns 6th ed. 2013.
- Fossum TW Ed. Small Animal Surgery. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2007. Also own 4th ed. 2013.
- Peterson LJ, Ellis III E, Hupp JR, Tucker MR. Contemporary Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 5th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2008. 6th ed. 2014 also available
- Slatter D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2003.
- Verstraete FJM, Lommer MJ. Oral and maxillofacial surgery in dogs and cats. New York: Saunders, 2012. [also available as online book]
Small Animal Dentistry
- Harvey CE, Emily PP. Small Animal Dentistry. St. Louis: Mosby, 1993.
- Holmstrom SE (guest editor). Canine Dentistry. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 28(5). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 1998.
- Holmstrom SE, Frost P, Eisner ER. Veterinary Dental Techniques. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2004.
- Holmstrom SE (guest editor). Veterinary Dentistry. Veterinary Clinics of North America: Small Animal Practice 35(7). Philadelphia: WB Saunders, 2005.
- Tutt C, Deeprose J, Crossley DA, eds. BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Dentistry. 3rd ed. Quedgeley: British Small Animal Veterinary Association, 2007.
- Verstraete FJM. Self-Assessment Color Review of Veterinary Dentistry. Manson Publishing, London & Iowa State University Press, Ames, 1999.
- Wiggs RB, Lobprise HB. Veterinary Dentistry Principles & Practice. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven, 1997.
- Journal of Veterinary Dentistry: Vol 16: No. 1 (Jan. 1999) to present.
- Dental Abstracts. Elsevier Science International. (Last five years). From 2005-present.
- Dental Clinics of North America. Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co. (Last five years) No subscription. Read abstracts online, then request free interlibrary loan of individual articles through TripSaver.
- Year Book of Dentistry®, St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book. (Last five years) No subscription; request free interlibrary loan of individual articles through TripSaver.
- Dixon PM (2008). Equid Dentistry. Veterinary Journal, 178(3), 307-424
Other suggested journals with valuable dental articles in them include:
- Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian
- Compendium of Continuing Education in Dentistry
- Veterinary Surgery
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
Search the catalog for veterinary dentistry resources available at NCSU Libraries.
Website updated 2/18/2014.