American College of Zoological Medicine
|Core Journals||Core Textbooks/Manuals|
|Day 2: Additional Reading Materials||Library Tips & More Info|
Annotated Suggested Reading List - American College of Zoological Medicine Examination
Updated January 2017
The following list is provided to help guide veterinarians planning to study for the ACZM boards. It is not a comprehensive listing of all available material, but rather a guide to facilitate finding information in areas where the candidate does not have extensive experience. Examination questions will be taken primarily from the listed reading materials as noted, however some questions may come from sources not listed. Examination questions based upon journal articles will emphasize current literature of the last five years, although older references may also be included. It is recommended that candidates work with their mentor to prioritize study material within the references suggested.
PubMed search link to all ACZM Suggested Reading List Journals except Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
Core Reading Material
May be used for Day 1 and Day 2 exam material for all disciplines.
- Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
- Journal of Wildlife Diseases - Excluding short communications and letters
- Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association - Including AVMA guidelines
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Davidson. 2006. Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States. 3rd edition. Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study.
- Dierauf, Gulland (eds). 2001. CRC Handbook of Marine Mammal Medicine, 2nd edition. CRC Press.
- Fairbrother, Hoff, Locke. 1996. Noninfectious Diseases of Wildlife, 2nd ed.
- Fowler, Miller (eds). 2007, 2012, 2014. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 6th (2008), 7th (2012) [also available as online book; 7th 2012], 2014 (8th ed) [8th ed. 2014 also available as online book]. W.B. Saunders.
- Fowler, Miller (eds). 2003. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 5th edition. WB Saunders Co. - ONLY CHAPTER 1
- Friend, Franson (eds). 1999. U.S.G.S. (United States Geological Survey). 1999. Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases: General Field Procedures and Diseases of Birds. [Free online].
- Harrison and Lightfoot. 2007. Clinical Avian Medicine (2 volumes). Spix publishing / HBD International. - ONLY CHAPTERS 6, 13, 14, 16, 18, 22-24, 39
- Lewbart. 2011. Invertebrate Medicine. 2nd. ed. Blackwell. [also available online] - EXCLUDING CHAPTERS 11, 12, 14-19
- Mader. (ed) 2006. Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2nd edition. W.B. Saunders Co.
- Mader, Divers (eds). 2014. Current Therapy in Reptile Med & Surg. Elsevier. [also available online]
- Noga. 2010. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd ed. Iowa State University Press.
- Quesenberry and Carpenter. 2012. Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 3rd ed. WB Saunders.
- Speer. 2015. Current Therapy in Avian Medicine and Surgery. Elsevier. [also available online]
- Stoskopf (ed). 1993. Fish Medicine. WB Saunders. [2010 paperback 2nd ed, v.1] - ONLY CHAPTERS 1-13, 17, 91-102
- Thomas, Hunter, & Atkinson. 2007. Infectious Diseases of Wild Birds. Iowa State.
- West, Heard, Caulkett (eds). 2014. Zoo Animal and Wildlife Immobilization and Anesthesia. 2nd ed. [online only] Blackwell.
- Williams, Barker (eds). 2001. Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals, 3rd edition. Iowa State University Press.
A=Aquatic; G=General Zoo; W=Wildlife; Z=Zoological Companion Animals
- Conservation Biology W
- Diseases of Aquatic Organisms A (Open Access for Archives from 1985 - 5 years from present)
- Emerging Infectious Diseases W (Open Access from 1995-Present)
- Journal of Small Animal Practice Z
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health A
- Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine Z
- Journal of Wildlife Management W
- Marine Mammal Science A
- Veterinary Record Z
- Zoo Biology A, G
- Atkinson, Thomas, Hunter. Parasitic Disease of Wild Birds. 2009. Blackwell. W
- Fowler (ed). 1993, 1999. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 3rd (1993) and 4th (1999) editions. W.B. Saunders. G
- Fowler, Mikota. 2006. Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants. Wiley-Blackwell. G
- Jacobson. 2007. Infectious Diseases and Pathology of Reptiles. CRC Press. G
- Mitchell, Tully (eds.). 2016. Current Therapy in Exotic Pet Practice. Elsevier. [available online] - ONLY CHAPTERS 2-3, 8-9 Z
- Samuel, Pybus, Kocan. Parasitic Diseases of Wild Mammals. 2001. Blackwell. [available online] W
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice (last five years) Z
- Wobeser. 2007. Disease in Wild Animals: Inv & Mgmt. Springer. W
Search the catalog for additional zoological medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Web page updated 7/21/2017