American College of Zoological Medicine
|Core Journals||Core Textbooks/Manuals|
|Day 1: Additional Books||Day 2: Additional Suggested Reading|
|Library Tips||More Info|
Annotated Suggested Reading List - American College of Zoological Medicine Examination
Updated January 2015
The following list is provided to help guide veterinarians planning to study for the ACZM boards. It is not a comprehensive listing of all available material, but rather a guide to facilitate finding information in areas where the candidate does not have extensive experience. Examination questions will be taken from the extant literature and will not be confined to questions only from the work on the list. Not all chapters in listed textbooks are necessarily of significance for the examination. Examination questions based upon journal articles will emphasize current literature of the last five years, although older references may also be included. It is recommended that candidates work with their mentor to prioritize study material within the references suggested.
PubMed search link to all ACZM Day 1 and Day 2 Journals except Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
Core Reading Material
May be used for Day 1 and Day 2 exam material for many disciplines, including Zoological Companion Animals.
- Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
- Journal of Wildlife Diseases
- Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Dierauf, Gulland (eds). 2001. CRC Handbook of Marine Mammal Medicine, 2nd edition. CRC Press.
- Fowler, Miller (eds). 2003, 2007, 2012. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 5th (2003), 6th (2008), 7th (2012) [also available as online book; 7th 2012 as online book]. W.B. Saunders.
- Friend, Franson (eds). 1999. U.S.G.S. (United States Geological Survey). 1999. Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases: General Field Procedures and Diseases of Birds. [Free online].
- Harrison and Lightfoot. 2007. Clinical Avian Medicine (2 volumes). Spix publishing / HBD International.
- Mader. (ed) 2006. Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2nd edition. W.B. Saunders Co.
- Noga. 2010. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd ed. Iowa State University Press.
- Quesenberry and Carpenter. 2012. Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 3rd ed. WB Saunders.
- West, Heard, Caulkett (eds). 2007. Zoo Animal and Wildlife Immobilization and Anesthesia. Blackwell.
- Williams, Barker (eds). 2001. Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals, 3rd edition. Iowa State University Press.
AV=Avian; AQ=Aquatic; T=Terrestrial Mammals; G=General Zoo; H=Herpetofauns; W=Wildlife; Z=Zoological Companion Animals
- Davidson. 2006. Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States. 3rd edition. Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study. W
- Fairbrother, Hoff, Locke. 1996. Noninfectious Diseases of Wildlife, 2nd ed. W
- Mader, Divers (eds). 2014. Current Therapy in Reptile Med & Surg. Elsevier. [also available as online book] H
- Kahn, Line (eds). 2010. The Merck Veterinary Manual, 10th edition. [Free online.] Merial. AQ, T
- Lewbart. 2011. Invertebrate Medicine. 2nd. ed. Blackwell. [also available as online book] AQ
- O’Malley. 2005. Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species : Structure and Function of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians. Elsevier. AV, H
- Stoskopf (ed). 1993. Fish Medicine. WB Saunders. [2010 paperback 2nd ed, v.1] AQ
- Thomas, Hunter, & Atkinson. 2007. Infectious Diseases of Wild Birds. Iowa State. W
- Conservation Biology W
- Diseases of Aquatic Organisms AQ (Open Access for Archives from 1985 - 5 years from present)
- Emerging Infectious Diseases W (Open Access from 1995-Present)
- Journal of Small Animal Practice Z
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health AQ
- Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine Z
- Journal of Wildlife Management W
- Marine Mammal Science AQ
- Veterinary Record W, Z
- Zoo Biology AQ, G
- Atkinson, Thomas, Hunter. Parasitic Disease of Wild Birds. 2009. Blackwell. W
- Fowler (ed). 1993, 1999. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 3rd (1993) and 4th (1999) editions. W.B. Saunders. G
- Fowler, Mikota. 2006. Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants. Wiley-Blackwell. G
- Jacobson. 2007. Infectious Diseases and Pathology of Reptiles. CRC Press. G, Z
- Lewbart (ed). 1998. Self-Assessment Review of Ornamental Fish. Manson Publishing. Z
- Lewbart. 2011. Invertebrate Medicine. 2nd. ed. Blackwell. [also available as online book] AQ, Z
- Mader, Divers. 2014. Current Therapy in Reptile Med & Surg. Elsevier. [also available as online book] G, Z
- McArthur, Wilkinson, Meyer. 2004. Medicine and Surgery of Turtles and Tortoises. Iowa State Press. AQ
- O’Malley. 2005. Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species : Structure and Function of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians. Elsevier. Z
- Ritchie, Harrison, Harrison. 1994. Clinical Avian Medicine and Surgery. Wingers Publishing. [1986 edition] Z
- Samuel, Pybus, Kocan. Parasitic Diseases of Wild Mammals. 2001. Blackwell. (available electronically) W
- Wobeser. 2007. Disease in Wild Animals: Inv & Mgmt. Springer. W
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice (last five years) Z
Search the catalog for additional zoological medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Web page updated 1/26/2015