American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM): Oncology
Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Reading List for Oncology is no longer listed on the ACVIM website. contact the ACVIM for more info. Here are items that were on the list in 2008 along with titles from the Oncology Residency Training Program resource list for 2011-2:
|Library Tips||More Info|
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine (2000)
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (1990)
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Veterinary Clinical Pathology
- Veterinary and Comparative Oncology
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Surgery
- Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Clinical Cancer Research
- Nature Reviews: Cancer
- Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Research in Veterinary Science
- Veterinary Clinics of North America – oncology related chapters (2000)
- Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology
- Cancer Research
- Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology
Group 1 Textbooks: The following texts are essential to provide a detailed knowledge base in oncology.
- Cancer, principles & practice of oncology. Vincent T. Devita Jr., Samuel Hellman, Steven A. Rosenberg. 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008.
- Withrow & MacEwen's small animal clinical oncology. Stephen J. Withrow, David M. Vail. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Saunders Elsevier, 2007. [also available as online book] [5th ed. 2013 also available]
- Cancer chemotherapy and biotherapy: principles and practice. Bruce A. Chabner, Dan L. Longo. 4thed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2006.
- The basic science of oncology. Ian F. Tannock, et al. 4th Ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division, 2005.
- Cellular and molecular immunology. Abul K. Abbas, Andrew H. Lichtman. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2009.
- Tumors in domestic animals. Donald J. Meuten. 4th ed. Ames, Iowa: Iowa State Press, 2002. [also available as online book].
- The biology of cancer. Robert A. Weinberg.
Group 2 Textbooks: The following texts have chapters or sections that have more detail and/or different perspectives
- Cancer in dogs and cats: medical and surgical management. Wallace B. Morrison. 2nd ed. Jackson Hole, Wyo.: Teton NewMedia, 2002. oncology and some hematology
- Textbook of veterinary internal medicine: diseases of the dog and cat., 7th ed. 2010 Stephen J. Ettinger, Edward C. Feldman. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Saunders, 6th ed.2005.
- Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy. 11th-14th ed. St. Louis, Elsevier Saunders, 1992-2009. oncology related chapters
- Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction. Edward C. Feldman, Richard W. Nelson. 3rd ed. St. Louis: W.B. Saunders, 2004. endocrine neoplasia
- Diagnostic cytology and hematology of the dog and cat. 3rd ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby, 2008.
- Feline oncology: a comprehensive guide to compassionate care. Gregory K. Ogilvie, Antony S. Moore. Trenton, NJ: Veterinary Learning Systems, 2001.
- Hall: Radiobiology for the Radiologist, 6th Edition Philadelphia : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, c2005 excellent source for radiotherapy; easy to read with study questions for each chapter
- Ogilive & Moore: Managing the Canine Cancer Patient, A Practical Guide to Compassionate Care. Yardley, PA: Veterinary Learning Systems, c2006.
- Cancer management in small animal practice. Carolyn J. Henry, Mary Lynn Higginbotham. [also available as an online book.
Group 3 Textbooks: The following texts are resources for specialized information that is not available elsewhere, or contain information complementary to that in Group 1.
- Veterinary laboratory medicine: clinical pathology. J. Robert Duncan, Keith W. Prasse, Edward A. Mahaffey. 4th ed., Ames, Iowa: Iowa State University Press, 2003
- Schalm's veterinary hematology. Bernard F. Feldman, Joseph G. Zinkl, Nemi C. Jain. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010. [also available as online book.] excellent source for cytochemistry
- Biostatistics: the bare essentials. Geoffrey R. Norman, David L. Streiner. 3rd ed. Hamilton: B.C. Decker, 2008.
Search the catalog for additional oncology resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Return to the NCSU Libraries: ACVIM Reading list page