American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM): Neurology
|Library Tips||More Info|
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Reading List for Neurology is no longer listed on the ACVIM website. Contact the ACVIM for more info. "EXAMINATION PREPARATION – Suggested reading list: This reading list is provided to aid candidates in preparing for the Neurology Specialty Examination. It is NOT a complete listing of all texts/journals from which questions may be drawn but represents a body of work that a qualified candidate should know." Here are items that were on the list in 2016.
- Dewey, CW. A practical guide to canine and feline neurology. 3rd ed. 2016
- Piermattei, DL. An Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the Bones and Joints of the Dog and Cat, latest ed. Now called Piermattei's atlas of surgical approaches to the bones and joints of the dog and cat, 5th ed. 2014 [also available as online book]
- Guyton, AC. Basic Neuroscience: Anatomy & Physiology
- Fisch & Spehlmann. Basic principles of digital and analog EEG. Amsterdam; New York: Elsevier, 1999.
- Platt, SR; Olby NJ. BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Neurology
- Feldman, EC; Nelson, RW. Canine and Feline Endocrinology and Reproduction, latest ed. Newest ed. called Canine and feline endocrinology, 4th ed. 2015. [also available as online book]
- Hoerlein, BF. Canine Neurology: Diagnosis and Treatment
- Braund, KG. Clinical Syndromes in Veterinary Neurology
- Braund, KG. Clinical Syndromes in Veterinary Neurology, 2nd ed
- August JR. Consultations in feline internal medicine, Volumes 1- 5. [Vol. 5 also available as online book] (Library also has V. 6 and Volume 7, August's Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine (online book)
- Bojrab, MJ. Current Techniques in Small Animal Surgery, latest ed. [5th ed. 2014 also available as online book]
- Bojrab, MJ. Disease Mechanisms in Small Animal Surgery. Latest edition (3rd, 2010) title is Mechanisms of disease in small animal surgery
- Kimura J. Electrodiagnosis in Diseases of Nerve and Muscle: Principles and Practice, latest ed
- Morgan, JP; Bailey, CS. Exercises in Veterinary Radiology: Spinal Disease
- Bagley, RS. Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Neurology
- Graham, DI; Lanto, PL. Greenfield's Neuropathology latest ed.
- Morgan, RV. Handbook of Small Animal Practice, latest ed. [have 5th ed. 2008 as online book]
- Oliver, JE; Lorenz, MD. Handbook of Veterinary Neurology 3rd ed.
- Lorenz, MD; Kornegay, JN. Handbook of Veterinary Neurology 4th ed.
- Lorenz, MD; et al. Handbook of Veterinary Neurology 5th ed. [also available as online book]
- Koestner, A; Bilzer,T; Fatzer, R; Schulman, FY; Summers, BA; Van Winkle, TJ. Histological Classification of Tumors of the Nervous System of Domestic Animals
- Greene, CE. Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, latest ed. [also available as online book]
- Kirk, RW; Bonagura JD. Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy X-XIV [v. XIV also available as online book]
- Mayhew, IR. Large Animal Neurology: A Handbook for Veterinary Clinicians, 2nd ed. 2008
- Evans, HE. Miller's Anatomy of the Dog, latest ed. [also available as online book - limited simultaneous access]
- Assheuer, J; Sager, M. MRI and CT Atlas of the Dog
- King, AS. Physiological and Clinical Anatomy of the Domestic Mammals: Central Nervous System Vol. 1
- Kandel, ER; Schwartz, JH; Jessell, TM. Principles of Neural Science, latest ed.
- Gavin and Bagley. Practical Small Animal MRI. Ames, Iowa : Wiley-Blackwell, 2009.
- Ganong, WF. Review of Medical Physiology, latest ed. [prev. ed. 23rd. 2010 available online] [25th ed. 2015 on order]
- Kotran, RS; Robbins, V. Robbins Pathologic Basis of Disease, latest ed. [NOTE: 8th ed. 2010 title is "Robbins and Cotran pathologic basis of disease"] [also available as online book-limited simultaneous access]
- Sharp, NJH; Wheeler, SJ. Small Animal Spinal Disorders: Diagnosis and Surgery 2nd ed.
- Fossum, TW. Small Animal Surgery, 4th edition. St. Louis, Mo. ; London : Elsevier Mosby, 2013.
- Slatter, D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery 2nd ed.
- Slatter, D. Textbook of Small Animal Surgery 3rd ed.
- Thrall, DE. Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology, latest ed. [also available as online book-limited simultaneous access]
- Ettinger, SJ; Feldman, EC. Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine: Diseases of the Dog and Cat
- Noden, DM; De Lahunta, A. The Embryology of Domestic Animals: Developmental Mechanisms and Malformations
- Haussler, KK. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Equine Practice: Back Problems, v. 15 n. 1, 1999.
- Lofstedt, J; Collatos, C. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Equine Practice: Selected Neurologic and Muscular Diseases, v.13 n. 1, 1997
- Dennis, SM. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Food Animal Pract: Congenital Abnormalities v. 9 n.1, 1993
- Constable, PD. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Food Animal Pract: Ruminant Neurologic Diseases, V. 20, n. 2 , July 2004 (online)
- Moore, MP. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Diseases of the Spine, v. 22 n. 4 1992 [NOTE: this is not the Spinal Diseases V. 40 n. 5, Sept 2010 (online)]
- Bagley, RS. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Intracranial disease v. 26 n.4 1996
- Luttgen, PJ. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Common Neurologic Problems v. 18 n. 3, 1998
- Thomas, WB. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Common Neurologic Problems v. 30 n. 1 2000
- Shelton, GD. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Neuromuscular Diseases v. 32 n. 1, 2002 (online)
- Shelton, GD. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Neuromuscular Diseases II. v. 34 n. 6 2004 (online)
- Chrisman, CL. The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice: Veterinary Neurology v. 10 n. 1 1980
- Plumb, DC. Veterinary Drug Handbook latest ed. [also available online via VIN for Veterinary Academia]
- De Lahunta, A. Veterinary Neuroanatomy and Clinical Neurology, 3rd ed. [3rd ed. 2009 also available as online book] [4th ed, 2015 also available]
- Oliver, JE; Hoerlein BF; Mayhew IG. Veterinary Neurology
- Summers, BA; Cummings, JF; De Lahunta, A. Veterinary Neuropathology
- Vandevelde, M; Higgins, R; Oevermann, A. Veterinary Neuropathology: Essentials of Theory and Practice
- Gellatt, KN. Veterinary Ophthalmology, latest ed.
- Hoskins, JD. Veterinary Pediatrics: Dogs and Cats from Birth to Six Months latest ed. [3rd. ed. 2001 available online]
PubMed search link to all ACVIM Neurology "Journals / Proceedings" EXCEPT ACVIM Proceedings and Progress in Veterinary Neurology
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
- Acta Neuropathologica [Older issues in print.]
- ACVIM Proceedings
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Australian Veterinary Journal
- Canadian Veterinary Journal
- Compendium : Continuing Education for Practicing Veterinarians
- Current Neuropharmacology
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of Comparative Pathology
- Journal of Neurology
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
- Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Problems in Veterinary Medicine (ceased in 1992)
- Progress in Veterinary Neurology (ceased in 1996)
- Seminars in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery- changed title to Topics in Companion Animal Medicine
- Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Quarterly
- Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound
- Veterinary Record
- Veterinary Surgery
Search the catalog for additional neurology resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Return to the NCSU Libraries: ACVIM Reading list page
Web page updated 3/8/2016.