American College of Veterinary Dermatology Exam Reference Guide
This list of journals and textbooks is not all-inclusive and does not exclude the possible use of additional sources not specifically listed on this reference guide. However, it does reflect the current (2013-2014) examination committee’s use of references commonly
used for test material. Examination questions are written by members of the entire college, thus many different sources are used. The committee generally requires that the information used for each exam question be cited in at least 2 different references.
One of the references MUST be from the ACVD Exam Reference Guide. This is done to help minimize the use of obscure references that are not widely available. The cutoff date for inclusion of new material for this year’s exam is April 30, 2014. Any references published after this date will not be used for this year’s exam. When possible the most current edition of texts should be used for review. Information that is older than 5 years but is still up to date (e.g. relating to structure/function) is still considered acceptable subject matter for exam questions.
|Library Tips||More Info|
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Archives of Dermatology
- British Journal of Dermatology
- Clinical Techniques in Small Animal Practice
- Compendium: Continuing Education For Veterinarians (Compendium on Continuing Education)
- Current Opinion in Immunology
- Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of Investigative Dermatology
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine (JVIM)
- New England Journal of Medicine (especially review articles)
- Veterinary Clinics of North America (Small Animal Practice, Food Animal, Equine, Exotic)
- Veterinary Dermatology
- Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology
- Veterinary Journal
- Veterinary Medicine
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Veterinary Parasitology
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Record
- Veterinary Therapeutics
(Most current edition in print unless otherwise noted)
- Abbas. Cellular and molecular immunology. [7th ed. 2012 also available as online book] [8th ed. 2015 now available]
- ACVD Task Force on Canine Atopic Dermatitis (Veterinary Imm and Immunopath, vol 81, 2001 issues 3-4)
- Advances in veterinary dermatology: proceedings of the World Congress of Veterinary Dermatology. 3rd, 4th, 5th ed., 6th ed. London; Philadelphia: Baillière Tindall,
- Boothe. Small animal clinical pharmacology and therapeutics.
- BSAVA Manual of small animal dermatology. Newest edition called BSAVA Manual of canine and feline dermatology
- Campbell. Small animal dermatology secrets.
- Current Therapy in Equine Medicine, 5th ed (sections pertaining to derm) [ONLINE BOOK]. 6th edition also available.
- Ettinger: Textbook of veterinary internal medicine.
- Feldman and Nelson: Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction.
- Fitzpatrick's dermatology in general medicine.
- Food Animal Current Veterinary Therapy (sections pertaining to derm)
- Georgis' parasitology for veterinarians. NB: Spelled Giorgi's on ACVD list
- Goldschmidt: Skin tumors of the dog and cat.
- Goodman & Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics.
- Greene. Infectious diseases of the dog and cat, 4th ed.
- Griffin: Current veterinary dermatology: the science and art of therapy.
- Gross, Ihrke, Walder, Affolter: Skin diseases of the dog and cat: clinical and histopathologic diagnosis.
- Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy. XII, XIII, XIV.
- Large animal internal medicine. (derm chapter) 4th ed. 2009 [5th ed. 2014 also available]
- Medleau, Hnilica: Small Animal Dermatology: a Color Atlas and Therapeutic Guide.
- Mullen: Medical and veterinary entomology.
- Muller & Kirk's small animal dermatology, 6th ed. (7th ed., 2013 also available)
- Pascoe: Manual of equine dermatology. 2nd edition is Pascoe's principles & practice of equine dermatology
- Paterson: Skin diseases of exotic pets.
- Physicians' desk reference: PDR.
- Plumb's veterinary drug handbook
- Riviere and Papich: Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Reedy: Allergic skin diseases of dogs and cats.
- Roitt. Essential Immunology. NB: Title on ACVD list is Veterinary Immunology
- Scott. Equine dermatology, 2011. [also available as online book]
- Scott. Large animal dermatology. (old reference, try to use more recent)
- Scott. Color atlas of farm animal dermatology. [also available as online book]. NB: Title on ACVD list is Farm Animal Dermatology.
- Tizard: Veterinary immunology: an introduction.
- Veterinary pharmacology and therapeutics.
- Willard. Small animal clinical diagnosis by laboratory methods. [also available as online book]
- Withrow and MacEwen's small animal clinical oncology. [also available as online book]. NB: On ACVD list as Small Animal Oncology.
Search the catalog for additional dermatology resources available at NCSU Libraries.
- ACVD Reading Guide for Residents (PDF) - updated June 25, 2014
- ACVD Residency - General Info provides info about the certifying exam
- European College of Veterinary Dermatology Diploma Exam
Web page updated 1/6/2015