Our Strategic Priorities 2020
THE EXPERIENTIAL LIBRARY:
A PLATFORM FOR RESEARCH, TEACHING, AND LEARNING
OUR STRATEGIC PRIORITIES – 2020
The Libraries: NC State’s Competitive Advantage.
- Enrich the educational experience, research productivity, and student and faculty life at NC State.
- Anticipate and meet user needs, creating accessible virtual and physical environments and services that inspire, connect, and benefit our users.
- Align with university priorities, and foster partnerships to increase our value, utilization, and relevance.
- Invest heavily in talent recruitment, development, and retention.
- Incubate emerging technologies and premier spaces that are accessible to the entire NC State community.
- Nurture a diverse, equitable, and inclusive organization that enables welcoming services and spaces, experimentation, aspiration, creativity, and success.
GOAL 1: STUDENT SUCCESS AND AFFORDABILITY
- Provide responsive, welcoming services to support academic and extra/co-curricular learning and success.
- Serve as a leader in experiential learning at NC State.
- Partner with the Division of Academic and Student Affairs to create the Academic Success Center and new library spaces as a "one-stop shop" for a variety of student learning activities and support services.
- Improve spaces for users and collections in the three branch libraries, in partnership with the Colleges of Design, Natural Resources, and Veterinary Medicine.
- Expand the Libraries’ impact on textbook and technology affordability, including expanded partnerships with DELTA, the Bookstores, and various colleges.
Goal 1: Stories of Impact
GOAL 2: RESEARCH EXCELLENCE AND INFRASTRUCTURE
- Use data-informed, community-driven best practices to provide robust collections as core research infrastructure.
- Amplify the research and scholarly impact of NC State by providing services, spaces, and tools that facilitate and enhance creation, discovery, and dissemination of knowledge.
- Support seamless discovery and delivery of resources and services for users.
- Position the Libraries and the university as a leader in the development of shared infrastructure and public research, providing services and resources that promote open, reproducible, interdisciplinary research.
- Empower librarians and staff to be catalysts and connectors in the research process.
GOAL 2: STORIES OF IMPACT
GOAL 3: ENHANCED REPUTATION, PROFILE, AND RANKINGS FOR NC STATE UNIVERSITY ("COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE")
- Serve as a major factor in the recruitment and retention of world-class faculty, staff, and students to the university.
- Provide a comprehensive suite of experiential programs, workshops, and events that engages, connects, and spans boundaries across the university community and beyond.
- Provide compelling venues for showcasing student and faculty work.
- Serve as one of NC State’s primary destinations for visitors from across the state, nation, and world.
- Cultivate a reputation for leadership and innovation in the research library community and in higher education.
GOAL 3: STORIES OF IMPACT
GOAL 4: ORGANIZATIONAL SUSTAINABILITY, DIVERSITY, AND EXCELLENCE
- Develop a culture that empowers all members of the Libraries’ staff to contribute effectively, equitably, and meaningfully.
- Encourage and recognize creativity, productivity, and efﬁciency in all their forms and from all levels of the organization.
- Foster an environment that supports transparent, thoughtful priority setting and strategic decision-making, including tools for sunsetting ideas, projects, and committees.
- Preserve budgetary ﬂexibility and increase private funding to invest in timely small-, medium-, and large-scale opportunities.
- Assess the Libraries’ progress on each strategic priority using adaptive planning models, and share that assessment with the entire organization.
GOAL 4: STORIES OF IMPACT