New Collection Guide for the Office of Alumni Relations Now Available

Alumni Memorial Building, 2003

Alumni Memorial Building, 2003

The Special Collections Research Center is pleased to announce that a new collection guide for the Office of Alumni Relations General Records is now available online. The collection comprises nearly 44 linear feet and dates from 1886 to 2010, though the bulk of the records are from the 1960s to the 1980s. 

Formerly named Alumni Affairs, this unit is now known as the Alumni Association. The Alumni Association was established in 1895, six years after the first classes were held at what was then the North Carolina College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts (now North Carolina State University). C. D. Francks was the first president of the Alumni Association. The association provides alumni opportunities to connect, network, and socialize with the university and other alumni, as well as discounts and travel opportunities. 

This collection includes materials from Alumni Weekend, Homecoming, and other programs organized by the Alumni Association. Alumni Weekend was largely a social event, and preparations sometimes included collecting humorous colleges stories to share during the event.

College stories, c. 1957 (UA 010.001, Box 1, Folder 21)
College stories, c. 1957 (UA 010.001, Box 1, Folder 21)

A few of the records cover the early history of the Alumni Association and of the university itself. Ira Obed “I. O.” Schaub, an NCSU graduate and Dean of the School of Agriculture from 1926-1945, shared this memory of Daniel Harvey “D. H.” Hill, Jr., the first librarian at NC State University.

State College stories, Dec. 1957 (UA 010.001, Box 9, Folder 8)
State College stories, Dec. 1957 (UA 010.001, Box 9, Folder 8)

 

Fundraising brochures, 1931-1967 (UA 010.001, Box 2, Folder 5)
Fundraising brochures, 1931-1967 (UA 010.001, Box 2, Folder 5)
Artist’s drawing of the first floor plan of the Alumni Memorial Building, c. 1946 (UA 010.001, Box 1, Folder 17)
Artist’s drawing of the first floor plan of the Alumni Memorial Building, c. 1946 (UA 010.001, Box 1, Folder 17)

Also included in this collection are correspondence, fundraising pamphlets for projects like the Memorial Belltower, and materials related to the proposed plans and designs for the renovation of the Alumni Memorial Building (now Winslow Hall).

Winslow Hall was built in 1897 and served as an infirmary until its renovation in 1959 when it was renamed Alumni Memorial Building to honor more than 300 alumni who died in World War II and the Korean War. In 2006, the building was renamed Winslow Hall after the Dorothy and Roy Park Alumni Center opened on Centennial Campus.

For more information, or to request access to this collection, please use our online request form. More resources covering university history, as well as many other topics, can be found by searching our digital collections and our collection guides

 

Special thanks to Sarah Take, Molly Pruett, Angelique Marrero, Wykila Chavis, Laura Lethers, Arianna Hinton, Hank Jackson, Mark Klose, James Stephens, Rachel White, and Cathy Dorin-Black for their work on this collection.