Fifty years ago in 1969, 2 of NC State's distinguished and respected faculty members became fellows in their professional societies. Hayne Palmour became a Fellow of the American Ceramic Society and Henry B. Smith became a Fellow of the American Institute of Chemists.
Hayne Palmour (1925-2017) was a professor of ceramic engineering who began his career at North Carolina State University in 1958 and retired in 1994 (his department eventually became known as Materials Science and Engineering). His research interests included mechanisms of flow and fracture in spinel structured ceramics, materials processing and rate controlled sintering, and precision digital dilatometry. He developed new processes for firing complex ceramics. The Special Collections Research Center holds a collection of his papers. In 2015 we conducted an oral history interview with him. Our website contains more photographs, information, and archival collection descriptions regarding Palmour.
Henry Brower Smith (1917-1992) was a chemical engineer, originally from Durham, North Carolina. His career at NC State spanned 1965-1983, first as a professor of chemical engineering, then as associate dean of engineering, and finally as vice provost and dean of research. Prior to NC State, he had been director of research at General Foods Corporation (where he developed Maxwell House instant coffee) and vice president of Armour Grocery Products (where he developed Dial soap). From 1970 to 1972, Smith was also a member of the board of directors of the Medical Plastics Corporation of America. Special Collections also holds a small collection of his papers. Our website also has photographs of him.
To request to access archival collections in the Special Collections Research Center, please fill out our online form.