In April 1968 the design school library was officially named the Harrye B. Lyons Design Library. The library had previously been established in 1941 as the first branch library on campus. It was originally known as the Architecture Library (or Architecture Department Library), and then later as the Design Library.
The library was named for Harrye Black Lyons, its librarian for twenty-one years. Lyons was born in 1902 or 1903, and she passed away on 4 Feb. 1968. In 1947 she became the librarian at the time the School of Design was being established. The previous year she came to Raleigh from Texas with her husband, economics professor James A. Lyons.
Shortly after her death in 1968, Henry Kamphoefner, founding dean of the School of Design, proposed renaming the library for Lyons in honor of "her outstanding contributions to library service for the school and the campus." Chancellor John Caldwell approved the proposal soon after (see letter below, from the Harrye B. Lyons Design Library Records [UA 012.033], Box 6, Folder 7, in the University Archives).