Position number: 00065618
The NC State University Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Web Applications Developer. The Information Technology department includes 24 staff across four units: Technology Services, Enterprise Operations, Academic Technology, and Discovery Systems. The department is critical to the Libraries’ success in charting a new path for research libraries, with an emphasis on developing and supporting information and academic technology solutions for the Libraries. Department staff guide the design and architecture of library applications and systems infrastructure, ensure the sustainable operation of technology-enabled services and spaces, and provide leadership in defining technology requirements for library‐wide initiatives and projects.
The Web Applications Developer works within the Discovery Systems unit of the Libraries’ Information Technology department and reports to the Lead Librarian for Discovery Systems. This position works with functional stakeholders across the Libraries to identify user needs and implement solutions that solve unique technical challenges and improve user experience. This position’s work supports several key Libraries systems, including the provision of electronic reserves to faculty and students across the university.
Based upon its primary project portfolio, this position provides technical leadership for PHP-based applications and helps architect a modern PHP environment. Responsibilities include designing, developing, and supporting active PHP applications, selecting and deploying web frameworks, and implementing automated testing and configuration management as appropriate. Additionally, as a member of the Discovery Systems unit, this position will contribute to the development and support of a wide range of applications which span multiple programming languages including Java, Ruby, PHP, and Python.
- Experience designing and developing web-based applications using the PHP programming language and relevant PHP web frameworks, such as Laravel, Symfony, or Zend.
- Experience designing and querying relational databases.
- Experience working with version control systems.
- Ability to collaborate with functional software stakeholders to understand business requirements and implement effective solutions.
- Ability to leverage strong written and oral communication skills to develop functional requirements and project documentation.
- Ability to work effectively independently as well as in a team environment.
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible or Puppet in development and production environments.
- Experience with PHP testing frameworks such as PHPUnit or PHPSpec.
- Experience with multiple programming languages such as Java, Ruby, and/or Python.
- Experience working with web technologies such as jQuery, Foundation, and Bootstrap.
- Experience using git/GitHub for code management.
- Experience working with legacy and open source software projects.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted until finalist candidates are selected. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to receive full consideration. The nomination committee may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings. Appointment requires successful completion of background check. This position is available immediately; start date is negotiable. Applicants must apply through the NC State University online employment website. For assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services Office (919) 515-3522.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.