Digital Technologies Development Librarian
Position number: 00065659
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Digital Technologies Development Librarian in the Digital Library Initiatives department. The Digital Library Initiatives department develops and delivers an information environment that significantly advances end-user resource discovery and use of library services. Digital Library Initiatives has produced a number of unique and widely used systems to improve service to library users, including the Suma space assessment toolkit, the Lentil photographic social media archival collecting system, and the QuickSearch bento-box style single search system. The department is currently developing new projects in areas including library service and resource discovery, assessment and analytics, data visualization, social media archives, research services, application virtualization, visualization services, digital collections, and support for digital research and scholarship. The Digital Library Initiatives department maintains a culture of collaboration, with a focus on supporting each other’s professional growth, providing opportunities for mentorship, and incorporating diverse perspectives into all areas of our work.
The Digital Technologies Development Librarian works as an active participant in a team that advances library services through applied research and application development and manages the entire life cycle of projects, from requirements gathering to deployment. S/He provides technical leadership and hands-on programming expertise for a portfolio of library projects. In close collaboration with technical and non-technical partners across the Libraries, s/he identifies emerging technologies that have potential for new and improved library services. Working both independently and in team settings, the incumbent develops new digital library services through an iterative, data-informed, and test-driven process that emphasizes usability, sustainability, and performance. The Digital Technologies Development Librarian maintains and provides enhancements to existing library applications and collaborates closely with Information Technology staff to develop and maintain supporting infrastructure. S/He participates in library planning, serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams. NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field. This position reports to the Associate Head of Digital Library Initiatives.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree
- Server-side application development experience with one or more open source programming languages such as PHP, Python, or Ruby
- Database development skills with systems such as MySQL and Solr
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly and knowledgeably, orally and in writing
- Ability to work effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues
- Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development and contribution
- Familiarity with version control systems such as Git
- Knowledge of user-centered design processes, including applying analytics to support data-informed decision-making
- Experience applying systems analysis techniques to solving novel problems
- Enthusiasm for contributing to open-source software projects
- Experience working in an academic library
Salary and Benefits
The Libraries offers a highly competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experience for this position. Librarians have non-tenure track faculty status (without levels of rank). Benefits include: 24 days vacation, 12 days sick leave; State of NC preferred provider medical insurance, and state, TIAA/CREF, or other retirement options. Additional and optional dental, life, disability, deferred compensation, and legal plans are offered. Tuition waiver program for all campuses of The University of North Carolina is available. See the Benefits and Leave Administration page for more information.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted until finalist candidates are selected. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to receive full consideration. The nomination committee may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings. Appointment requires successful completion of background check. This position is available immediately; start date is negotiable. Applicants must apply through the NC State University online employment website. For assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services Office (919) 515-3522.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
- Jason Ronallo Nomination Committee Chair, Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Bret Davidson Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Danica Lewis NCSU Libraries Fellow
- Rebecca Miksch Information Technology Initiatives Librarian
- Matthew O'Connell Technology Support Specialist
- Heidi Tebbe Collections & Research Librarian for Engineering and Data Science
- Lisa Ruth Associate Head for Recruiting and Visitor Relations