Associate Head, Acquisitions & Discovery (Serials)
Position number: 00001580
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Head, Acquisitions & Discovery (Serials). Acquisitions & Discovery’s seven librarians and seventeen staff are responsible for managing the Libraries’ $11.5 million collections budget, acquiring materials in all formats, negotiating license agreements and contracts, and describing and maintaining access points to facilitate discovery of the Libraries’ resources. NCSU Acquisitions and Discovery librarians have been actively involved in the development of an e-resource management system, E-Matrix, and contribute to the Libraries’ internationally recognized innovations in content management and discovery.
The Associate Head (Serials) helps to provide leadership and management for the Acquisitions & Discovery department, reporting to and collaborating with the Department Head to set forward-thinking departmental goals and objectives. S/He leads the acquisition and bibliographic control activities for serial materials, providing direction within the department and throughout the Libraries. S/He manages the serials unit, supervising and evaluating one librarian and six paraprofessional staff. The incumbent leads electronic resource management efforts for continuing resources, including management support and staff training for the Serials Solutions 360 knowledge base and two ERM systems (E-Matrix and CORAL). S/He provides support for the acquisitions and licensing of library materials in all formats, maintains internal controls and documentation, and collaborates with stakeholders across the library to design and implement custom workflows for evolving acquisitions models. This position serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams. As Associate Head, the incumbent is responsible for the department in the absence of the Department Head. NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree in library science or information science
- Relevant professional experience, e.g., with library serials, acquisitions, or electronic resource management
- Ability to initiate, develop, and assess innovative services that advance organizational goals
- Demonstrated leadership potential
- Demonstrated change management, project management, and/or workflow design experience
- Demonstrated experience with and understanding of library management systems supporting acquisitions and discovery functions, e.g., integrated library systems (ILS), knowledge bases, electronic resource management systems (ERMS), issue tracking systems, and discovery interfaces.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and personably, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated record of ongoing professional development
- Experience working with vendors and publishers including license negotiating experience
- Knowledge of serials cataloging
- Supervisory experience
Salary and Benefits
The Libraries offers a highly competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experience for this position. Librarians have non-tenure track faculty status (without levels of rank). Benefits include: 24 days vacation, 12 days sick leave; State of NC preferred provider medical insurance, and state, TIAA/CREF, or other retirement options. Additional and optional dental, life, disability, deferred compensation, and legal plans are offered. Tuition waiver program for all campuses of The University of North Carolina is available. See the Benefits and Leave Administration page for more information.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted until finalist candidates are selected. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to receive full consideration. The nomination committee may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings. Appointment requires successful completion of background check. This position is available immediately; start date is negotiable. Applicants must apply through the NC State University online employment website. For assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services Office (919) 515-3522.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
- Maria Collins Nomination Committee Chair, Department Head, Acquisitions and Discovery
- Bret Davidson Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Emily Higgs NCSU Libraries Fellow
- Tessa Minchew Electronic Resources Librarian
- Dawn Pearce Technology Support Specialist
- John Vickery Analytics Coordinator and Collections & Research Librarian for Social Sciences
- Wendy Scott Associate Director for Organizational Design and Learning