Associate Director for the Digital Library
Position number: 00005089
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Associate Director for the Digital Library. Comprising the departments of Information Technology (24 FTE), Digital Library Initiatives (9.5 FTE), and Data & Visualization Services (5.5 FTE), the Digital Library division designs, develops, manages, and maintains an innovative, flexible, and reliable technology environment that enables access to research collections and facilitates user-centered services, along with a robust computing and data storage infrastructure that supports the library as a repository and research platform, both physically and virtually.
The Associate Director for the Digital Library provides vision and leadership for the Digital Library division, playing a leading role in shaping the future of the NCSU Libraries as an essential competitive advantage for learning and research. With administrative responsibility for digital library strategy and technology in one of the nation’s most forward-thinking libraries, s/he leads in creating a cutting-edge environment that enables students, faculty, and researchers to discover and create new knowledge and develop multidisciplinary solutions to contemporary challenges. The Associate Director is a member of the senior administrative team, reporting to the Vice Provost & Director of Libraries.
This position collaborates with the university’s Office of Information Technology and with Distance Education and Learning Technology Applications, participates in the university’s collaborative IT governance structure, and builds relationships with other research and technology partners such as the Data Science Initiative. S/He represents the NCSULibraries in the Triangle Research Libraries Network, national forums, and international initiatives, and seeks opportunities for partnerships with university faculty and external organizations, including sponsored research. Current projects include a Mellon-funded, multi-institutional collaboration focusing on the advancement of tools and techniques for developing and sharing large-scale visual content for research. As a member of the Libraries’ senior administrative team, the Associate Director participates in library planning, policy development, resource allocation, and personnel management. NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
- ALA-accredited MLS, MIS, or equivalent advanced degree
- Significant and progressively responsible, relevant professional experience
- Significant, successful management and leadership experience, including budget and personnel management
- A thorough understanding of technology in higher education and the library’s role at a forward-looking research university
- Skill in advancing digital initiatives and information technology services
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate clearly, knowledgeably, and personably, orally and in writing
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others in a fast-paced environment
- Strong analytical skills; ability to set priorities effectively and resolve competing demands
Successful record of securing and managing grants
Salary and Benefits
The Libraries offers a highly competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experience for this position. Librarians have non-tenure track faculty status (without levels of rank). Benefits include: 24 days vacation, 12 days sick leave; State of NC preferred provider medical insurance, and state, TIAA/CREF, or other retirement options. Additional and optional dental, life, disability, deferred compensation, and legal plans are offered. Tuition waiver program for all campuses of The University of North Carolina is available. See the Benefits and Leave Administration page for more information.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted until finalist candidates are selected. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to receive full consideration. The nomination committee may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings. Appointment requires successful completion of background check. This position is available immediately; start date is negotiable. Applicants must apply through the NC State University online employment website. For assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services Office (919) 515-3522.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
- Carolyn Argentati Nomination Committee Chair, Deputy Director of Libraries
- Karen Ciccone Department Head, Data & Visualization Services
- David Goldsmith Associate Director for Materials Management
- Emily Lynema Acting Department Head, Information Technology
- Jason Ronallo Department Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Rob Rucker Chief Strategist for Student Success
- Hannah Rainey NCSU Libraries Fellow
- Lisa Ruth Associate Head for Recruiting and Visitor Relations