Web Application Developer
Position number: 00102565
This position will play a lead role in design, development, and support for applications that allow the campus community to utilize the Libraries’ advanced technology spaces and video display walls for teaching, research, and community engagement. This work includes consulting directly with functional stakeholders to identify and prioritize needs, designing and implementing solutions that improve user experience or provide new functionality, and investigating new technologies to solve evolving technical challenges. This position will work with other technical staff in the IT department to provide excellent customer service for supported applications.
Based on its primary project portfolio, this position will provide technical leadership to the NCSU Libraries IT Department for the Python / Django / PostgreSQL development stack. In addition, this position will contribute to the development and support for a variety of projects maintained by this group, many of which are utilized by students, staff, and faculty across the university and which span multiple programming languages, including Java, PHP, and Ruby on Rails.
Please note: The UNC System is currently in the process of converting its SHRA FLSAexempt IT positions to EHRA. This transition is currently underway and is expected to be completed in the spring. This position is currently classified as SHRA, however, the position may be hired as EHRA depending upon date of hire.
Bachelor’s degree with nine credit hours in programming and one year of experience in business application consulting or development; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
• Knowledge and experience developing web-based applications; ability to design and develop applications using Python and Django.
• Experience designing and querying relational databases.
• Experience working collaboratively with software stakeholders to identify and implement effective solutions.
• Ability to leverage strong written and oral communication skills to develop functional requirements and project documentation.
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a collaborative team.
• Experience adapting to changing technologies and new programming languages.
• Experience managing implementation projects and timelines.
• Experience with multiple relational database systems, such as PostgreSQL, MariaDB, and/or Oracle.
• Experience with multiple programming languages, such as Java, Ruby, and/or PHP.
• Experience working with web technologies such as jQuery, Foundation, and Bootstrap.
• Experience working with language-specific application frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Hibernate, Laravel, or Zend.
• Experience working with version control tools for code management, particularly GitHub.
• Experience managing or contributing code to open source projects.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.