Collections & Research Librarian for Life Sciences
Position number: 00001572
The NCSU Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Collections & Research Librarian for Life Sciences in the Collections & Research Strategy Department. Part of the Libraries newly formed Research Collaboration division, the department focuses on utilizing innovative analytics, deep integration with the university community, and creative use of the digital environment to develop and manage collections aligned with the strengths of the university. Librarians in Collections & Research Strategy collaborate with faculty and students at the intersection of research, emerging tools and technologies, and scholarly communication. In support of the Chancellor’s Faculty Excellence Program, a University-wide effort to bring faculty from multiple disciplines together to address the grand challenges of society, the department assigns a librarian as liaison to each of the program’s clusters. This position reports to the Associate Head of Collections & Research Strategy.
- Leads collaborative collection management in the life sciences with emphasis on plant sciences and affinity disciplines.
- Provides expert services for faculty, staff, and students across the research life cycle including information discovery, data curation, visualization, research computing, and scholarly communication.
- Fosters collaboration and interdisciplinary interactions among faculty and other stakeholders by supporting and collaborating with interdisciplinary research teams, such as the North Carolina Plant Sciences Initiative.
- Participates in ongoing collection assessment and collection management activities.
- Serves as liaison with select departments within the College of Sciences, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
- Identifies emerging trends in life sciences research and recommends strategies for aligning library services accordingly.
- In collaboration with research administration at NC State, advises researchers in evaluation of grant opportunities and in meeting funder and university requirements for providing public access to publications and data resulting from research.
- Participates in library planning; serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams.
- NCSU librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
- ALA-accredited MLS or equivalent advanced degree.
- Academic preparation in life sciences, plant sciences, or related discipline or relevant experience in these areas.
- Experience with collection development.
- Experience supporting faculty and researchers across the life cycle of research, teaching, and learning.
- Demonstrated understanding of the scientific process and the use of impact metrics and related tools to support researchers.
- Interest in open research practices and incentives.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Capacity to thrive in an exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
- Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development and contribution.
- Knowledge of emerging trends in data curation, bibliometric analysis, visualization, or research computing.
- Advanced degree in life sciences, plant sciences, or related discipline.
- Experience with project planning and project management.
Salary and Benefits
The Libraries offers a highly competitive salary in recognition of applicable education and experience for this position. Librarians have non-tenure track faculty status (without levels of rank). Benefits include: 24 days vacation, 12 days sick leave; State of NC preferred provider medical insurance, and state, TIAA/CREF, or other retirement options. Additional and optional dental, life, disability, deferred compensation, and legal plans are offered. Tuition waiver program for all campuses of The University of North Carolina is available. See the Benefits and Leave Administration page for more information.
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt; applications will be accepted until finalist candidates are selected. Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible to receive full consideration. The nomination committee may invite candidates for confidential, pre-interview screenings. Appointment requires successful completion of background check. This position is available immediately; start date is negotiable. Applicants must apply through the NC State University online employment website. For assistance with this process contact NCSU Libraries Personnel Services Office (919) 515-3522.
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148.
- Hilary Davis Nomination Committee Chair, Department Head, Collections & Research Strategy
- Mira Waller Nomination Committee Chair, Interim Department Head, Research Engagement
- Alex Carroll Research Librarian for Engineering and Biotechnology
- Bertha Chang Acting Associate Head, Collections & Research Strategy
- Bret Davidson Associate Head, Digital Library Initiatives
- Mohan Ramaswamy Associate Head, Research Engagement and Graduate Services
- Erica Hayes NCSU Libraries Fellow
- Hannah Rainey NCSU Libraries Fellow