Reference Sources: Zoology Research Guide
A Guide to the Zoological Literature: the Animal Kingdom. Bell, George H., and Diane B. Rhodes. 1994.
D. H. Hill Ref QL45.2 .B43 1994 Also available online to subscribers of netLibrary via the WWW.
- Animal: Definitive Visual Guide to the World's Wildlife. Editors-in-chief, David Burnie & Don E. Wilson. 2001.
D. H. Hill Ref QL45.2 .A56 2001
- Encyclopedia of Life Sciences (Listed in the Database Finder under the subject Biological Sciences.)
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia. 2nd ed. Grzimek, Bernhard. 2003.
D. H. Hill Ref QL7 .G7813 2003 Also Veterinary Medicine Library Reference QL7 .G7813 2003 (Note: currently only volumes 8-11 are available. The other volumes will be added as they are published.)
- Grzimek's Animal Life Encyclopedia. Bernhard Grzimek, editor-in-chief. 1972-75. 13 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL3 .G7813 Also Veterinary Medicine Library QL3 .G7813
- The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Wildlife. Wildlife consultant, Mary Corliss Pearl. 1991. 15 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL7 .I44 1991
- Magill's Encyclopedia of Science: Animal Life. Editor, Carl W. Hoagstrom. 2002. 4 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL7 .M34 2002 Also Veterinary Medicine Library Reference QL7 .M34 2002
- Beacham's Guide to the Endangered Species of North America. Edited by Walton Beacham, Frank V. Castronova, Suzanne Sessine. 2001. 6 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QH77 .N56 B43 2001
- Beacham's Guide to International Endangered Species. Edited by Walton Beacham, Kirk H. Beetz. 1998. 3 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL82 .B435 1998
- Encyclopedia of Biodiversity. Editor-in-chief, Simon Asher Levin. 2001. 5 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QH541.15 .B56 E53 2001 Also Natural Resources Library Reference QH541.15 .B56 E53 2001
- Encyclopedia of Endangered Species. 1994. 2 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL82 .E53 1994 Also Veterinary Medicine Library Reference QL82 .E53 1994
(Note: the call number of volume 2 is QL82 .E531 1999.)
- Encyclopedia of the World's Zoos. Editor, Catharine E. Bell. 2001. 3 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL76 .E53 2001 Also Veterinary Medicine Library QL76 .E53 2001
- The Official World Wildlife Fund Guide to Endangered Species of North America. Managing editor, David W. Lowe, editors, John R. Matthews, Charles J. Moseley. 1990. 3 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL84.2 .O35 1990
- A Dictionary of Zoology. 2nd ed. Edited by Michael Allaby. 1999. (Rev. ed. of: Concise Oxford Dictionary of Zoology. 1991.)
D. H. Hill Ref QL9 .C66 1999 Also available online to subscribers of netLibrary via the WWW.
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Zoology. Edited by Michael Allaby. 1991.
D. H. Hill Ref QL9 .C66 1991
- Elsevier's Dictionary of Invertebrates (Excluding Insects): in Latin, English, French, German, and Spanish. Compiled by Ilja Okáli, Miroslava Dulová, and Ing. Pavel Mokrán. 2000.
D. H. Hill Ref QL360 .E47 2000
- Zoological Record Thesaurus (http://www.biosis.org/free_resources/zr_taxhier.html)
- Index to Organism Names (http://www.organismnames.com/advancedquery.htm)
Gives "basic nomenclatural and hierarchy information, plus ZR volume occurrence counts (reflecting use in the literature) for animal names; and links to other organizations' data for non-animal names. It can be used to identify the taxonomic group to which a named organism belongs and to link to further information from ZR or other collaborating organizations."
- Nomenclatural Glossary for Zoology (http://www.biosis.org/free_resources/nomglos.html)
"This glossary is based on a text intended to aid indexers in the production of nomenclatural entries for the Zoological Record, the index to world zoological literature published by BIOSIS and the Zoological Society of London. It covers terminology commonly encountered within publications dealing with the systematics and nomenclature of animals."
- Latin Names Explained: a Guide to the Scientific Classification of Reptiles, Birds & Mammals. Gotch, A.F. 1996.
D. H. Hill Ref QL353 .G67 1996
- Nomenclator Zoologicus. 9 v.
D. H. Hill Ref QL354 .N4
Published by the Zoological Society of London, Nomenclator Zoologicus "is a continuous record of the bibliographical origins of the names of every genus and subgenus in zoology published since the 10th edn of Linnaeus' Systema Naturae in 1758. The main work Vols. 1-4 (A-Z, about 225,000 entries) covers the period 1758-1935. Supplementary Vols. 5 (1936-1945, over 18,000 entries), 6 (1946-1955, over 19,000 entries), 7 (1956-1965, over 21,000 entries), 8 (1966-1977, over 30,000 entries) and 9 (1978-1994, over 45,000 entries) should be consulted in conjunction with previous volumes. Volume 9 was produced in association with BIOSIS UK with new names automatically extracted from the Zoological Record database."