Dataverse Network Pilot
NC State participated in a pilot implementation of the Dataverse Network (DVN). The DVN is an open source application that facilitates the ability to publish, share, reference, extract and analyze, and replicate research data.
- Project scope: Gain insight into the advantages and disadvantages of DVN as a data repository for NC State.
- Timeline: March-August 2013
- Scope: Explore use of DVN in several domains relevant to NC State's research strengths.
- Outcome: Evaluation results will inform next steps.
- Caveats: This is not a pilot to implement the DVN and any data uploaded to DVN during the pilot will not necessarily be retained after the pilot.
For more info:
- Contact Steve Morris (email@example.com)
The pilot is complete. At this time, Dataverse will not be implemented as a production service. Drawbacks based on the pilot centered on significant deployment costs and lack of appropriate extensibility for the broad range of research data represented at NC State at present. The pilot provided the Dataverse development team with extensive feedback to help evolve their product to meet the needs of a broader market.