Business, Trade, Industry, and Local News
Librarian: Jennifer Garrett
Importance of News in Business Research
- Industry, trade, and local news are important sources of business information
- Sometimes newspapers are the only source of publicly available information on a company and its executives, products, sales, brands, and future plans
- If your Google searches are not very useful, see below for a few additional strategies to try.
Google Search Tips
There are a number of Google search operators that are not widely known, but can be quite handy for doing more precise searching, rather than using an assortment of keywords. Here are just a few tips:
|Operator||When to Use It||Example|
|AROUND||When you want two words or phrases to appear near each other (i.e. this increases the chances that source talks about both items in relation to each other).||"coty inc" AROUND(2) "north carolina"|
|filetype:||When you want to narrow your results to specific file types such as pdf, xls, doc, or pptx (i.e. it is likely to return results that are reports, publications, datasheets, presentations, etc.)||industry statistics filetype:xls|
When you want to narrow your results to certain domains that may be more reputable or provide quality information for free (i.e., government publications or whitepapers available through college departmental websites)
When you want to search through a company's large website content but there are inadequate site search options (i.e., sometimes websites are hard to navigate or don't provide a direct link to publicly accessible reports or tertiary pages on the site)
"annual report" site:www.gsk.com
Newspaper Full Text Databases
- While general web searches may help you browse highly-ranked or very current information, full-text access is often limited to paid subscribers.
- The Libraries' subscribe to a number of U.S. and international newspaper databases that provide more sophisticated search tools, as well as extensive full-text coverage.
- In addition to the resources listed below, you can take a look at newspaper databases available through the Libraries.
- You can use news sources to find out about current happenings, executive changes, management restructuring, new products, mergers and acquisitions, brands, and many other topics.
(mergers and acquisitions, brands, parent and subsidiary relations)
Business Source Complete
(trade and industry news sources)
Wall Street Journal (via ProQuest)
Local and Business News Search
This is a customized Google Search. It searches through a set of news sites that have been hand-selected by a librarian. It searches the websites of News & Observer, Herald Sun, Independent Weekly, Triangle Business Journal, WRAL (news station), Triangle.com, and WUNC (North Carolina public radio). It also includes some of the better-known general business news sites such as Financial Times, BusinessWeek, Wall Street Journal, Inc. Magazine, and Entrepreneur Magazine. It is designed to help reduce the "noise" of the general web. For more information on creating custom search boxes, take a look at this page.