Frequently Asked Questions

How do you incorporate or register a new corporation name in the state of North Carolina?

In North Carolina, incorporation or corporation name registration is done through the Department of the Secretary of State.

If you are trying to register a business name for a sole proprietorship or general partnership you may need to contact the County Register of Deeds Office where you intend to do business instead.

More information may be found on the NC Dept of Commerce Website:

Information on how and why to search both registered and unregistered names can be found here: .

If you would like to trademark a logo or slogan at the federal instead of state level, that must be applied for through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. See the Libraries' web pages for more information. Federal trademark protection is only available for products sold across state lines.

#0279 | 2013-10-25 JG

Did you find this answer helpful?

If you need more help, please Ask Us.