The Design Library offers high-resolution digital copystand photography and flatbed scanning as ways to improve and develop the contents of the Design Library Image Collection (available through LUNA) to better meet the needs of its users. This service gives faculty and students the opportunity to shape the contents of the collection into an invaluable resource that reflects current topics in teaching and research. Images requested will be the property of NCSU Libraries. The copywork will be done by the Visual Resources Librarian, Barbara Brenny or Design Library staff. The library is not providing any personal image services at this time.
Copywork is only the first step in the process of adding new images to the collection. After the images are created, they will need to be cataloged and loaded into the online database. Digital images are made available through the Design Library's online image database.
An Image Request Form is available at the front desk or on the Design Library's website. Just bring the completed form and the publications with the images you would like to have digitized to Barbara Brenny, or they may be left with another staff member. Please read over the Image Request Procedures for important detailed information about this process.
Image Request Procedures
- 3 weeks lead time for digital-only requests. The images need to be cataloged, processed into the derivative size, and loaded into the online database.
- Use separate image request forms for each publication.
- No Post-Its or flags to mark pages. They can remove clay from the pages of some color images. Simply indicate the page number and the position of the image on the page when submitting the image request form
- Only one image per "slide." A "slide" or digital file with two or more images is difficult to catalog and not usable to anyone other than the person who requested it.
- Books or other publications must be submitted along with the Image Request Form.
- Requests will be filled in the order they are received.
- Please try to keep the quantity of images within reasonable limits.
- If there are any copyright concerns, we will contact you.