Home: Business Guide
Sources by Topic
What it is:
What you can expect to find:
- 30+ million patents from 1966 - current, updated on a weekly basis.
- Standardized unique assignee codes for 21,000 companies worldwide.
- Re-written descriptive patent titles and abstracts for simple keyword searching.
- Applications and issued patent information.
- Access to full text and images for most patents.
Some useful things you can do:
- Look up specific patents and access the full text and images in PDF.
- Search for examiners' cited patents and related literature, including cited references of articles indexed in Web of Science.
- Search for patents pertaining to a specific company or organization.
- Search for patents using various classification codes including DPWI and IPC.
- Analyze a set of results to rank counts by date, inventor, assignee or class.
- Save searches and create alerts or rss feeds.
- Export citations to reference management software such as RefWorks or Zotero.
- Can only export up to 500 records at a time.
- May need to access full text of patent and/or cited literature in an alternative source at the library or via issuing agency.
- 40+ patent issuing agencies from around including, North and South America, Europe, Asia and South Africa.
Available Tutorials and Related Materials:
Librarian Contact Information
- Jennifer Garrett, Research Librarian for Management, Education and Social Sciences