|Core Journals||Core Textbooks/Manuals|
|Day 1: Additional Books||Day 2: Additional Suggested Reading|
|Library Tips||More Info|
Annotated Suggested Reading List - American College of Zoological Medicine Examination
Updated April 2012
The following list is provided to help guide veterinarians planning to study for the ACZM boards. It is not a comprehensive listing of all available material, but rather a guide to facilitate finding information in areas where the candidate does not have extensive experience. Examination questions will be taken from the extant literature and will not be confined to questions only from the work on the list. Not all chapters in listed textbooks are necessarily of significance for the examination. Examination questions based upon journal articles will emphasize current literature of the last five years, although older references may also be included. It is recommended that candidates work with their mentor to prioritize study material within the references suggested.
PubMed search link to current five years of all ACZM Day 1 and Day 2 Journals except Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
Core Reading Material
May be used for Day 1 and Day 2 exam material for many disciplines, including Zoological Companion Animals.
- Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
- Journal of Wildlife Diseases
- Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Altman. 1997. Avian Medicine and Surgery. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
- Dierauf, Gulland (eds). 2001. CRC Handbook of Marine Mammal Medicine, 2nd edition. CRC Press.
- Fowler (ed). 2003, 2007, 2012. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 5th (2003), 6th (2008), 7th (2012) [also available as online book; 7th 2012 as online book]. W.B. Saunders.
- Mader. (ed) 2005. Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2nd edition. W.B. Saunders Co.
- Noga. 2010. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment. 2nd ed. Iowa State University Press.
- Quesenberry and Carpenter. 2003. Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 2nd ed. WB Saunders., 2004. [3rd ed. 2012 also available]
- West, Heard, Caulkett (eds). 2007. Zoo Animal and Wildlife Immobilization and Anesthesia. Blackwell.
- Williams, Barker (eds). 2001. Infectious Diseases of Wild Mammals, 3rd edition. Iowa State University Press.
- Wright, Whitaker. 2001. Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry. Krieger.
AV=Avian; AQ=Aquatic; T=Terrestrial Mammals; G=General Zoo; H=Herpetofauns; W=Wildlife; Z=Zoological Companion Animals
- Davidson. 2006. Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases in the Southeastern United States. 3rd edition. Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study. W
- Friend, Franson (eds). U.S.G.S. (United States Geological Survey). 1999. Field Manual of Wildlife Diseases.. [Free online]. AV, W
- Harrison and Lightfoot. 2007. Clinical Avian Medicine (2 volumes). Spix publishing / HBD International. AV
- Jacobson. 2007. Infectious Diseases and Pathology of Reptiles. CRC Press. H
- Kahn, Line (eds). 2010. The Merck Veterinary Manual, 10th edition. [(9th ed. free online.] Merial. AQ
- Lewbart. 2006. Invertebrate Medicine. Blackwell. [2nd ed. 2012 is also available in print and online book] AQ
- O’Malley. 2005. Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species : Structure and Function of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians. Elsevier. H
- Ritchie, Harrison, Harrison. 1994. Clinical Avian Medicine and Surgery. Wingers Publishing. [1986 edition] AV
- Samuel, Pybus, Kocan (eds). 2001. Parasitic Diseases of Wild Mammals, 2nd edition. Iowa State University Press. W
- Stoskopf (ed). 1993. Fish Medicine. WB Saunders. [2010 paperback 2nd ed, v.1] AQ
- Avian Diseases AV
- Avian Pathology AV (Open Access for Archives from 1972 - 18 months from present)
- Conservation Biology W
- Diseases of Aquatic Organisms AQ, H (Open Access for Archives from 1985 - 5 years from present)
- Emerging Infectious Diseases W (Open Access from 1995-Present)
- Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science : JAALAS Z (Open Access through PubMed Central from 2008 - 6 months from present)
- Journal of Aquatic Animal Health AQ
- Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine H, Z
- Marine Mammal Science AQ
- Veterinary Record W, Z
- Zoo Biology AQ, G, H
- Childs et al. 2007. Wildlife and Emerging Zoonotic Diseases: The Biology, Circumstances and Consequences of Cross-Species Transmission. Springer. W
- Fowler (ed). 1993, 1999. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 3rd (1993) and 4th (1999) editions. W.B. Saunders. G
- Fowler, Mikota. 2006. Biology, Medicine, and Surgery of Elephants. Wiley-Blackwell. G
- Jacobson. 2007. Infectious Diseases and Pathology of Reptiles. CRC Press. G, H, Z
- King, McLelland. 1984. Birds, Their Structure and Function, 2nd edition. Bailliere Tindall. AV
- Lewbart (ed). 1998. Self-Assessment Review of Ornamental Fish. Manson Publishing. AQ
- Lewbart. 2006. Invertebrate Medicine. Blackwell. [also available as online book] [2nd ed. 2012 is also available in print and online book] AQ, H
- McArthur, Wilkinson, Meyer. 2004. Medicine and Surgery of Turtles and Tortoises. Iowa State Press. AQ, H
- Mitchell, Tully. 2009. Manual of Exotic Pet Practice. Saunders. [also available as online book] Z
- O’Malley. 2005. Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species : Structure and Function of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles and Amphibians. Elsevier. Z
- Rees. 2011. Introduction to zoo biology and management. Wiley. [also available as online book] G
- Reynolds, Rommel. 1999. Biology of Marine Mammals. Smithsonian Institution Press. AQ
- Ritchie, Harrison, Harrison. 1994. Clinical Avian Medicine and Surgery. Wingers Publishing. [1986 edition] AV, Z
- Ritchie. 1995. Avian viruses: Function and Control. Wingers Publishing. AV
- Thomas, Atkinson, Hunter. 2007. Infectious Diseases of Wild Birds. Blackwell Publishing. AV
- Wingfield, Palmer. 2009. Veterinary Disaster Response. Wiley-Blackwell. G
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice Z
Search the catalog for additional zoological medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.