Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
|Library Tips||More Info|
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Reading List for Small Animal Internal Medicine is no longer listed on the ACVIM website. Contact the ACVIM for more info. Here are items that were on the list in 2008:
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Veterinary Clinics of North America (Small Animal)
- New England Journal of Medicine (reviews)
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Compendium : Continuing Education for Veterinarians
- Textbook of veterinary internal medicine: diseases of the dog and cat., 7th ed (2010) Stephen J. Ettinger, Edward C. Feldman. 6th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Saunders, 2005.
- Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy. 10th-14th ed. St. Louis, Elsevier Saunders, -2009.
- Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction. Edward C. Feldman, Richard W. Nelson. 3rd ed. St. Louis: W.B. Saunders, 2004.
- Fundamentals of veterinary clinical pathology. Steven L. Stockham, Michael A. Scott. 2nd Ames: Iowa State Press, 2008 OR
- Willard MD, Tvedten H, Turnwald GH: Small Animal Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods, 4th ed., Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co., 2004. [5th ed. 2012 also available]
- A small animal gastroenterology text, e.g. Handbook of small animal gastroenterology. Todd R. Tams. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; London: W.B. Saunders, 2003.
- A current physiology textbook, e.g. Ganong. or Guyton.
- Clinical physiology of acid-base and electrolyte disorders. Burton David Rose, Theodore W. Post. 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division, 2001. or DiBartola SP: Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Disorders, 3rd ed., St. Louis, Elsevier Saunders, 2006. [also available as online book]
- Respiratory physiology: the essentials. West, John B. 8th ed. Philadelphia. Wolkers Kluwer Health 2008.
- Textbook of respiratory disease in dogs and cats. Lesley G. King. St. Louis: W.B. Saunders, 2004.
- Immunology. 7th ed.. Ivan Roitt, Jonathan Brostoff, David Male. Edinburgh; New York: Mosby, 2006, or Veterinary immunology, an Introduction. Ian R. Tizard. Philadelphia: Saunders, 8th, 2009.
- Neurology book, e.g. Lorenz: Handbook of Veterinary Neurology, 4th ed., St. Louis, Saunders Elsevier, 2004. OR de Lahunta [also available as online book] or Chrisman
- Cardiology/EEG book, e.g Tilley LP, Goodwin JK: Manual of Canine and Feline Cardiology, 4th ed., Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co., 2008 [also available as online book] or Fox.
- Small animal clinical pharmacology and therapeutics. Dawn Merton Boothe. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, c2001.
- Infectious diseases of the dog and cat. Craig E. Greene. 3rd ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Saunders-Elsevier, 2006.
- Feline textbook, e.g. The Cat: diseases and clinical management. Robert G. Sherding. 2nd Ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone, 1994 or August JR Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine Volume 5 and 6, Elsevier, 2006, 2010
- Oncology, e.g. Withrow & MacEwen's small animal clinical oncology. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Saunders Elsevier, 2007 [also available as online book] [5th ed. 2013 also available] or Cancer in dogs and cats: medical and surgical management. Wallace B. Morrison. 2nd ed. Jackson Hole, Wyo.: Teton NewMedia, 2002.
Search the catalog for additional small animal internal medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.
Return to the NCSU Libraries: ACVIM Reading list page