American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (ACVIM): Small Animal Internal Medicine
Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
|Library Tips||More Info|
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Reading List for Small Animal Internal Medicine is no longer listed on the ACVIM website. Contact the ACVIM for more info.
"Candidates are advised to prepare for the examination by a systematic review of recent textbooks and periodicals. Your mentors can help you select appropriate study material. WE CANNOT DEFINE CONCLUSIVELY THE BODY OF KNOWLEDGE NECESSARY TO PASS THIS EXAMINATION – THE FOLLOWING LIST IS ONLY A GUIDELINE. Please note that although the emphasis of the examination is on recently (within the past 5 years, approximately) published literature, there are not set years that absolutely define which references are used for question preparation:"
- Textbook of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Ettinger and Feldman, 7th, 2010)
- Kirk's Current Veterinary Therapy [both of last 2 editions in print] also XV, 2014 [online - limited simultaneous use] AND XIV 2009 [online -limited simultaneous use)
- Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction. [New edition, 2015 is Canine and feline endocrinology] (Feldman and Nelson) [also available as online book]
- EITHER Willard MD, Tvedten H. Small Animal Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods, 5th ed. 2011 [also available as online book] OR Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Pathology - Stockham / Scott, 2nd ed. 2008.
- Small Animal Gastroenterology (numerous) -- possibilities include Small Animal Gastroenterology. Chandler, M. Edinburgh; New York: Elsevier, 2011. OR Canine & feline gastroenterology (2013) [also available online]
- Current textbook in Physiology, Guyton and Hall textbook of medical physiology (2016) OR Ganong's Review of medical physiology, 2016 [prior edition, 2012];
- Clinical physiology of acid-base and electrolyte disorders. (Rose) OR Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Disorders, (DiBartola SP) [also available as online book]
- Respiratory physiology [title is West's respiratory physiology], Respiratory Pathophysiology [title is Pulmonary pathophysiology] (West)
- Textbook of Respiratory Disease in Dogs and Cats. King LG.
- Immunology textbook (Halliwell, Roitt, or Tizard) EITHER Veterinary immunology: an introduction. Ian R. Tizard. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2012 OR Roitt's Essential Immunology, 2011 [also online] OR Veterinary Clinical Immunology - Richard E. Halliwell; Neil T. Gorman
- Neurology textbook (DeLahunta, Oliver and Lorenz, or Dewey) EITHER Handbook of veterinary neurology. Michael D. Lorenz, Joe N. Kornegay. 5th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: W.B. Saunders, 2011. [also available as online book] OR Veterinary neuroanatomy and clinical neurology. Alexander de Lahunta. 4th ed, Philadelphia: Saunder/Elsevier, 2015. OR A practical guide to canine and feline neurology. [edited by] Curtis W. Dewey.
- Cardiology/ECG textbook (Tilley, Fox or Kittleson) EITHER Tilley et al. Manual of Canine and Feline Cardiology, 4th. ed 2007. [also available as online book] OR Textbook of canine and feline cardiology: principles and clinical practice. 2nd,. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1999 ([edited by] Philip R. Fox, David Sisson, N. Sydney Moise). OR Small Animal Cardiovascular Medicine - Mark D. Kittleson; Richard D. Kienle
- Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Boothe, DM.
- Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat (Greene or Sykes): Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat. Greene, 4th ed .2012 [also available as online book] OR Canine and Feline Infectious Diseases: Sykes ; [also available as online book]
- Feline textbook (August) August's Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine, Volume 7 [online]
- Oncology textbook (Morrison or Withrow/MacEwan) EITHER Withrow & MacEwen's small animal clinical oncology. [also as online book] OR Cancer in Dogs and Cats - Wallace B. Morrison 2nd ed. 2002.
- Nephrology and Urology of Small Animals, (Bartges and Polzin) [also available online]
- Plumb’s Veterinary Drug Handbook (Plumb) [available in VIN for Veterinary Academia]
PubMed search link to all ACVIM Small Animal Internal Medicine journals
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Compendium : Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Veterinary Clinics of North America (Small Animal Practice) (internal medicine-related volumes)
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery
- Veterinary Clinical Pathology
- Veterinary Journal
- New England Journal of Medicine (see details below)
- Veterinary journals of other speciality colleges (see details below)
"Question material may come from articles published in the official journals of other specialty colleges, which clearly address the diagnosis or management of diseases routinely encountered by small animal internal medicine specialists. Questions covering material published in human literature have been used on this exam. The committee suggests, however, that you limit your review of the human literature to two areas: 1) general concepts in physiology/pathophysiology, and 2) major review articles found in the New England Journal of Medicine. Material unique to human medicine will not be used."
Search the catalog for additional small animal internal medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Return to the NCSU Libraries: ACVIM Reading list page
Web page updated 4/10/2017.