Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
- Equine Medicine Surgery Internship
- Equine Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Ruminant Health and Reproductive Management Internship
- Ruminant Health Management Residency
|Library Tips||More Info|
American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine Reading List for Large Animal Internal Medicine is no longer listed on the ACVIM website. contact the ACVIM for more info. Here are items that were on the list in 2008:
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine (reviews)
- Equine Veterinary Journal
- Veterinary Record
- Canadian Veterinary Journal
- Canadian Journal of Veterinary Research
- Veterinary Clinics of North America - Equine
- Veterinary Clinics of North America - Food Animal
- Compendium : Continuing Education for Veterinarians
- Clinical biochemistry of domestic animals. J. Jerry Kaneko, John W. Harvey, Michael L. Bruss. 6th ed. San Diego, CA: Academic Press, 2008. [Also available as online book]
- A current physiology textbook, e.g. Ganong. or Guyton.
- Clinical physiology of acid-base and electrolyte disorders. Burton David Rose, Theodore W. Post. 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division, 2001.
- Immunology. 7th ed.. Ivan Roitt, Jonathan Brostoff, David Male. Edinburgh; New York: Mosby, 2006, or Veterinary immunology, an Introduction. Ian R. Tizard. Philadelphia: Saunders, 8th, 2009.
- Large animal internal medicine. Bradford P. Smith. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2009.
- Equine internal medicine. Stephen M. Reed, Warwick M. Bayly, Debra C. Sellon. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; London: W.B. Saunders, 2010. [2nd ed, 2004 available as online book]
- Equine medicine and surgery. Patrick T. Colahan, et al. 5th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby, 1999.
- The horse : diseases and clinical management / edited by Calvin N. Kobluk, Trevor R. Ames, Raymond J. Geor. Philadelphia, Saunders, 1994. 2 vols
- Veterinary medicine: a textbook of the diseases of cattle, sheep, pigs, goats, and horses. O.M. Radostits, et al. 10th ed. New York: Elsevier Saunders, 2007.
- Current therapy in equine medicine, vols. 1-5, Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Co., -2003. [also available as online book]
- Large animal neurology: a handbook for veterinary clinicians, 2nd ed. I.G. Mayhew. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 2008.
- Goodman & Gilman's the pharmacological basis of therapeutics. 11th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006.
- Respiratory physiology: the essentials. West, John B. 8th ed. Philadelphia. Wolkers Kluwer Health 2008.
- A veterinary neurology book
- Textbook of veterinary internal medicine: diseases of the dog and cat., 7th ed (2010) Stephen J. Ettinger, Edward C. Feldman. 6th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Saunders, 2005.
- Herd health: food animal production medicine. Otto M. Radostits. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2001.
- Veterinary clinical epidemiology. Ronald D. Smith. 3rd ed. Boca Raton: CRC/Taylor & Francis, 2006.
- Medicine and surgery of South American camelids: llama, alpaca, vicuña, guanaco. Murray E. Fowler. 2nd ed. Ames: Iowa State University Press, 1998. Also have 3rd ed. Medicine and surgery of camelids.
- Lameness in cattle. Paul R. Greenough. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1997.
- Sheep & goat medicine. D.G. Pugh. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2002.
- Rebhun's diseases of dairy cattle. Thomas J. Divers, Simon F. Peek. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier, 2008. [also available as online book]
- Diseases of swine. Barbara E. Straw,et al. 9th ed. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Pub., 2006.
- Diseases of sheep. I.D. Aitken. 4th ed. Oxford; Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Publishing, 2007.
- Current veterinary therapy: food animal practice. Howard. Philadelphia, Saunders. v.5, 2009 and previous volumes [also available as online book]
The large animal test is written in concordance with USA regulations regarding extralabel drug and legal use of antibiotics. Candidates need to know drugs illegal for use and legal regulations surrounding common antimicrobials used in food animals in US. The following websites may prove useful in reviewing pertinent US regulations regarding drug use in food animals.
- Code of Federal Regulations: Sec. 530.41 Drugs prohibited for extralabel use in animals.
- Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act of 1994 (AMDUCA)
Search the catalog for additional large animal internal medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.
Return to the NCSU Libraries: ACVIM Reading list page