|Knowledge Requirements: Textbooks||Supplemental Reading List: Textbooks|
|Knowledge Requirements: Journals||Supplemental Reading List: Journals|
|Library Tips||More Info|
Knowledge Requirements: Required Reading List
List dated October 2009
The following is a list of required reference materials that the resident/fellow is expected to learn with retention and comprehension. Pertinent sections of these resources should be studied and consulted throughout the resident’s training. The Knowledge Requirements Required Reading List does not include all references from which Certifying Examination questions may be drawn, as other textbooks and periodicals contain pertinent information. Knowledge of basic and applied anatomy and physiologic principles is assumed.
General Physiology – an edition of one of the following, published within the last 10 years:
- Medical physiology: a cellular and molecular approach. Walter F. Boron, Emile L. Boulpaep. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders, 2009. (older editions also available)
- Review of medical physiology [online book]. William F. Ganong. 23rd ed., Los Altos, CA: Lange, 2010. 22nd ed, print, 2005
- Textbook of medical physiology. Arthur C. Guyton, John E. Hall. 11th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2006.
- Berne & Levy Physiology. Koeppen & Stanton, et al. 6th ed. 2008.
- Small Animal
- Small Animal Critical Care Medicine, Silverstein & Hopper. St. Louis, Mo. ; Edinburgh : Saunders Elsevier, c2009. Also available as Online Book. Large Animal
- Equine emergencies: treatment and procedures. [NB: Reading list says "Manual of..."] James A. Orsini, Thomas J. Divers. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.; Edinburgh: Elsevier Saunders, 2008. Also available as Online Book.
Veterinary ECC Technical Manuals—at least one from the appropriate group:
- Small Animal
- Veterinary emergency and critical care manual. Karol A. Mathews. 2nd ed. Guelph, Ont.: Lifelearn Inc., 2006. (older editions also available)
- Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Procedures, Hackett. Ames, Iowa : Blackwell Pub. Professional, 2006.
- Manual of small animal emergency and critical care medicine. Douglass K. Macintire, et al. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005.
- Large animal
- The Equine Hospital Manual, Corley K and Stephen J eds. Oxford, UK ; [Ames, Iowa] : Blackwell, 2008.
Human Intensive Care Textbook – at least one
- Textbook of Critical Care, Fink, et al., 2005 ed.
- Critical Care Medicine: Principles of Diagnosis and Management in the Adult. Parrillo and Dellinger, 3rd ed. 2007.
Fluid Therapy / Acid-Base / Electrolyte Textbook – an edition of one of the following, published within the last 10 years:
- Fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base disorders in small animal practice. Stephen P. DiBartola. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2008. Also available as Online Book.
- Halperin, M.L. Fluid, electrolyte, and acid-base physiology : a problem-based approach. 4th ed. Saunders, 2010.
- Clinical physiology of acid-base and electrolyte disorders. Burton David Rose, Theodore W. Post. 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division, 2001.
General Veterinary Internal Medicine – at least one from the appropriate group:
- Small Animal
- Textbook of veterinary internal medicine. Stephen J. Ettinger. 6th ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2005. NB: 7th edition (2010) also available Large Animal
- Equine internal medicine. Stephen M. Reed, Warwick M. Bayly, Deborah Sellon. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2003. Also available 2nd ed as Online Book and 3rd edition as print book.
- Large Animal Internal Medicine, Smith, 4th ed. Mosby, 2009. (excluding food animal sections)
Veterinary Surgery – at least one from the appropriate group:
- Small Animal
- Small animal surgery. Theresa Welch Fossum. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2007.
- Textbook of small animal surgery. Douglas Slatter. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2003. Large Animal
- Equine surgery. 3rd ed. Auer and Stick. Philadelphia, Pa.; Edinburgh: Elsevier Saunders, 2005. (Chapters 2-15)
Veterinary Anesthesia – at least one:
- Veterinary Anesthesia & Analgesia. McKelvey & Hollingshead. 3rd ed., Mosby, 2003.
- William J. Tranquilli, John C. Thurmon, Kurt A. Grimm. Lumb & Jones' veterinary anesthesia and analgesia. 4th ed. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell Pub., 2007.
Mechanical Ventilation – at least one:
- Hess, Dean. Essentials of Mechanical Ventilation. 2nd ed. McGraw- Hill, 2003.
- Mechanical ventilation. Neil R. MacIntyre, Richard D. Branson. 2nd ed. Saunders Elsevier, c2009.
- Principles and Practice of Mechanical Ventilation. Tobin, 2nd ed., 2006. [Online Book]
- Mechanical Ventilation: Physiological and Clinical Applications, Pilbeam & Cairo, 4th ed., 2006.
Veterinary Pharmacology – at least one:
- Boothe. Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. Saunders, 2001.
- Small animal clinical pharmacology. Jill E. Maddison, Stephen W. Page, David Church. 2nd ed. London; New York: W.B. Saunders, 2008.
- Equine Clinical Pharmacology. Bertone & Horspool. Saunders, 2004.
Veterinary Toxicology – at least one:
- Veterinary Toxicology: Basic and Clinical Principles. Gupta. Academic Press, 2007.
- Clinical veterinary toxicology. Konnie H. Plumlee. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby, 2004.
- Small animal toxicology. Michael E. Peterson, Patricia A. Talcott. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Saunders Elsevier, 2006.
Veterinary Clinical Pathology – at least one:
- Fundamentals of veterinary clinical pathology. Steven L. Stockham, Michael A. Scott. 2nd ed. Ames: Iowa State Press, 2008.
- Duncan & Prasse’s Veterinary Laboratory Medicine: Clinical Pathology. Latimer et al., 4th ed. Iowa State Press, 2003.
- Small Animal Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods. Willard & Tvedten, 4th ed. Saunders, 2004. [5th ed. 2012 also available]
Specific Areas of Internal Medicine – for Small Animal Trainees only – each is required:
- Veterinary pediatrics: dogs and cats from birth to six months. Johnny D. Hoskins. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 2001.
- King, Leslie. Textbook of respiratory disease in dogs and cats. Saunders, 2004.
- Canine and feline endocrinology and reproduction. Edward C. Feldman, Richard W. Nelson. St. Louis: W.B. Saunders, 2004.
- Infectious diseases of the dog and cat. Craig E. Greene. 3rd ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Saunders/Elsevier, 2006.
- Essentials of Veterinary Ophthalmology. Kirk N. Gelatt. 2nd ed. Blackwell, 2008.
Veterinary Neurology – at least one:
- Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Neurology. Bagley. Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Handbook of Veterinary Neurology. Lorenz & Kornegay, 4th ed. Saunders, 2004.
- BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Neurology. Platt and Olby, 3rd ed. 2004
- Withrow and MacEwen's small animal clinical oncology. 4th ed. Elsevier Saunders, 2007. Also available as Online Book. [5th ed. 2013 also available]
Veterinary Cardiology – at least one:
- Textbook of canine and feline cardiology: principles and clinical practice. Fox, et al., 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 1999.
- Small animal cardiovascular medicine. Mark D. Kittleson, Richard D. Kienle. St. Louis, MO: Mosby, 1998.
- Cardiovascular Disease in Small Animal Medicine, Ware
Specific Areas of Internal Medicine – for Large Animal Trainees only – each is required:
- Equine Neurology. Reed & Furr. Blackwell, 2008.
- Equine Infectious Diseases.Sellon & Long. Elsevier, 2007. Also available as Online Book.
- Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Veterinary Surgery
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Veterinary Clinics of North America (small or large animal as pertains to the practice)
- Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians - Register for free online access for veterinarians by clicking on "Subscribe or Renew."
- Critical Care Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Large Animal Specific
- Equine Veterinary Journal
Supplemental Reading List
The following is a list of suggested resources that may aid the resident with learning specific and specialized facets of emergency and critical care medicine. The following references are not required materials for ECC residents but may be used to supplement the resident’s education.
- Review of veterinary physiology. Larry R. Engelking. Jackson, Wyo.: Teton New Media, 2002.
- Mohrman & Heller. Cardiovascular Physiology, 6th ed. Lange Medical/McGraw Hill, 2006.
- Heart Physiology: From Cell to Circulation. Lionel H. Opie. 4th ed. Philadelphia : Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, c2004.
- Brenner & Rector’s The Kidney, Brenner, 8th ed. Philadelphia : Saunders Elsevier, c2008.
- Vander’s Renal Physiology, Eaton, Pooler, & Vander, 6th ed. New York : Lange Medical Books/McGraw Hill, Medical Pub. Division, c2004.
- Koeppen, Bruce, Stanton. Renal Physiology, 4th ed. Mosby Elsevier, 2007.
- Renal pathophysiology: the essentials. 2nd ed. Burton D. Rose, Helmut G. Rennke. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 2007
- Lumb, Andrew B; Nunn, J.F. Nunn’s Applied Respiratory Physiology. 6th ed. Philadelphia : Elsevier/Butterworth Heinemann, 2005.
- Respiratory Physiology: the Essentials, West, 8th ed. Philadelphia : Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, c2008.
- Pulmonary pathophysiology: the essentials. John B. West. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2008. [title on list is Respiratory Pathophysiology]
- Veterinary emergency medicine secrets. Wayne E. Wingfield. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, PA: Hanley & Belfus, 2000.
- Critical care. Robert J. Murtaugh. 2nd ed. Jackson Hole, Wyo.: Teton New Media, 2002.
- The Veterinary ICU book. Wayne E. Wingfield, Marc R. Raffe. Jackson Hole, Wyo.: Teton NewMedia, 2002.
Human Intensive Care
- Darovic. Handbook of Hemodynamic Monitoring. 2nd ed. 2003.
- Flynn, Janet-Beth. Introduction to Critical Care Skills. Mosby, 1993.
- Tobin, MJ. Principles and Practice of Intensive Care Monitoring.McGraw-Hill, 1998.
- Ahrens, Thomas. Hemodynamic Waveform Analysis. Saunders, 1992.
- Colman. Hemostasis and thrombosis. 5th ed. LWW, 2006.
- The ICU book. Paul L. Marino. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 2007.
Fluid Therapy / Acid-Base / Electrolytes
- Malley, William J. Clinical blood gases: applications and non-invasive alternatives. Saunders, 1990. Request through TripSaver. NCSU Libraries has Clinical blood gases : assessment and intervention. William J. Malley. 2nd ed. 2005.
- Martin, Lawrence. All you really need to know to interpret arterial gases. 2nd ed. Williams and Wilkins, 1999
- Complications in small animal surgery: diagnosis, management, prevention. Alan J. Lipowitz, et al. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
- Handbook of veterinary anesthesia. William W. Muir III, et al. 4th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby Elsevier, 2007.
- Handbook of veterinary pain management. James S. Gaynor, William W. Muir. 2nd ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Mosby, 2009.
- Tilley, Lawrence P. Essentials of canine and feline electrocardiography: interpretation and treatment. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lea & Febiger, 1992.
- Drugs for the Heart. 6th Ed., Opie & Gersh. Saunders, 2005. 7th ed. 2009 also available
- Manual of Canine and Feline Cardiology. Tilley, 4th ed. Saunders, 2008.
- Waugh, Jonathan. Rapid Interpretation of Ventilator Waveforms. 2nd ed. Pearson Prentice-Hall, 2007
- Management of the Mechanically Ventilated Patient, Pierce, 2nd ed. 2006.
- Raoof. Mechanical Ventilation Manual. Philadelphia, American College of Physicians, 1998.
- The Pharmacologic approach to the critically ill patient. Bart Chernow. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1994. (older editions also available)
- Textbook of Veterinary Diagnostic Radiology. Thrall, 5th ed. Elsevier, 2007. [list says Textbook of Diagnostic Radiology}
Specific Areas of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Strombeck's Small animal gastroenterology. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders, 1996.
- Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy XIII and XIV, Bonagura
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Veterinary Anesthesia and Analgesia
- Veterinary Radiology and Ultrasound
- Veterinary Journal (formerly British Veterinary Journal)
- Canadian Veterinary Journal - Online version lacks most recent 3 months.
- Topics in Companion Animal Medicine (previously Clinical Techniques in Small Animal Medicine)
- Journal of Small Animal Practice
- Journal of Trauma, Injury Infection & Critical Care
- Intensive Care Medicine
- Current Opinion in Critical Care - No library subscription - read abstracts online and request individual articles free through Tripsaver Interlibrary Loan or visit UNC Health Sciences Library
- Critical Care Clinics
- Shock - No library subscription - read abstracts online and request individual articles free through Tripsaver Interlibrary Loan or visit UNC Health Sciences Library to use their online subscription or Duke Medical Center Library
Search the catalog for additional emergency and critical care resources available at NCSU Libraries.