American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine (ACLAM) Certification Examination Reference List
|Monographs||Library Tips | More Info|
This reference list provides the sources of the majority of the examination questions for the 2016 exam (e.g., the most recent exam given). The examination questions are written from generally the same sources each year. This list is arranged in alphabetical order. It is advisable to use the most current editions of textbooks when studying for the certification exam; since the listed references were used for the previous year’s exam, they may not be the most current reference for the upcoming year’s exam. Journal articles used for the exam are typically those published within the last 5 years. This list is not meant to be all-inclusive (e.g., it does not indicate the only resources candidates should use to prepare for an upcoming examination). Note that the ACLAM Series Blue Books are heavily referenced and are considered core references
PubMed search link to all ACLAM journals
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
- Comparative Medicine, bimonthly publication of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, Memphis, TN.
- Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (JAALAS), the bimonthly publication of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS), Memphis, TN.
- Institute for Laboratory Animal Research (ILAR) Journal, a quarterly publication of ILAR, the National Academies, Washington, DC.
- Animal Care Policies. Found at United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) website, currently located at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/Animal%20Care%20Policy%20Manual.pdf
- Animal Welfare Act, 7 U.S.C., Sections 2131-2159. Animal Welfare Regulations, 9 CFR Chapter 1, Subchapter A, Parts 1-4. Most current version can be found at https://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_welfare/downloads/Animal%20Care%20Blue%20B ook%20-%202013%20-%20FINAL.pdf
- AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia, 2013. (Formerly The Report of the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia). PDF version can be found on the AVMA website at https://www.avma.org/KB/Policies/Pages/Euthanasia-Guidelines.aspx
- Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and National Institutes of Health. The 5th edition (December 2009) can be found at https://www.cdc.gov/biosafety/publications/bmbl5/
- Good Laboratory Practice Standards, 7 U.S.C., 21 CFR (Food and Drugs), Part 58 (Good Laboratory Practice for Nonclinical Studies). Most current version can be found on: http://www.fda.gov/default.htm, or: Code of Federal Regulations - US Government Printing Office website - https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRsearch.cfm?CFRPart=58
- Guide for the Care and Use of Agricultural Animals in Research and Teaching, 3rd ed., 2010, Federation of Animal Science Societies (FASS). [Note: Also available online.]
- Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals 8th edition Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 2011. [Also available online]
- Guidelines for the Use of Mammals in Neuroscience and Behavior Research, 2003, National Research Council, National Academy of Sciences, Washington, DC.
- Occupational Health and Safety in the Care and Use of Research Animals. Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources, National Research Council. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1997.
- Public Health Service (PHS) Policy on Humane Care and Use of Laboratory Animals. Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare, National Institutes of Health, August, 2015.
- Recognition and Alleviation of Distress in Laboratory Animals. National Academies Press. 2008. https://www.nap.edu/catalog/11931/recognition-and-alleviation-of-distress-in-laboratoryanimals
- Anesthesia and Analgesia in Laboratory Animals. American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, second edition, eds. Richard Fish, Peggy Danneman, Marilyn Brown, and Alicia Karas. Academic Press, 2008.
- Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, eds. Fox and Marini. Wiley-Blackwell, 2014. [online only]
- Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, 3rd Edition. Quesenberry and Carpenter. Elsevier, 2011. [also available as online book]
- Flynn’s Parasites of Laboratory Animals, 2nd Edition. Baker. Wiley, 2007. [also available as online book]
- Harkness and Wagner's Biology and Medicine of Rabbits and Rodents, fifth edition. Eds. Harkness, Turner, VanDewoude, and Wheler. Wiley-Blackwell, 2010.
- Laboratory Animal Anaesthesia, 3rd edition. Flecknell. Academic Press, 2009. [also available as online book] [4th ed. 2016 also available as online book]
- Laboratory Animal Medicine, 3rd edition. American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, eds. Fox, Anderson, Otto, Pritchett-Corning, Whary. Academic Press, 2015 (Reserves). [also available as online book]
- Nonhuman Primates in Biomedical Research, two volume set, 2nd edition,, eds.Christian Abee, Keith Mansfield, Suzette Tardiff, and Timothy Morris,Elsevier,2012 [vol. 1 Biology & Management available as online book. Also v. 2 Diseases available as online book.]
- Pathology of Laboratory Rodents and Rabbits, 3rd edition. Percy, DH, Barthold, SW. Blackwell Publishing, 2007.
- Swine in the Laboratory: Surgery, Anesthesia, Imaging, and Experimental Techniques, 3rd edition. Swindle. CRC Press, 2015.
- The Biology of the Laboratory Rabbit, 2nd Edition. Manning, Ringler, Newcomer. Elsevier, 1994
- The Laboratory Rabbit, Guinea Pig, Hamster and Miscellaneous Rodents, eds. Sukow, Stevens and Wilson Elsevier 2012. [Also available as online book.]
- The Laboratory Rat, second edition, American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine. eds. Suckow, weisbroth and Franklin. Elsevier, 2006. [Also available as online book].
- The Laboratory Zebrafish, 1st edition, CRC Press, 2010.
- The Laboratory Xenopus, 1st edition, CRC press, 2009.
- The Mouse in Biomedical Research, second edition, eds. James G. Fox, Muriel T. Davisson, Fred W. Quimby, Stephen W. Barthold, Christian E. Newcomer and Abigail L. Smith. Elsevier, 2007.
- Handbook on Genetically Standardized Mice 6th edition Ed. Joanne Currer, The Jackson Laboratory, Bar Harbor, Maine, 2009.
- OLAW Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee Guidebook. 2nd Edition 2002 (free online)
- The IACUC Handbook, third edition. eds. Silverman, Murthy, Suckow. CRC Press, 2013.
- The Zebrafish Book, 5th Edition; A guide for the laboratory use of zebrafish (Danio rerio), Eugene, University of Oregon Press.
- ZIRC health Services: http://zebrafish.org/health/
Search the catalog for additional laboratory animal medicine resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
This web page updated 5/10/2016.