Relevant NCSU CVM Residency Programs: Zoological Medicine
|Essential Monographs||Essential Periodicals|
|Supplemental Monographs||Supplemental Periodicals|
|Library Tips||More Info|
From the ABVP Reptile & Amphibian Practice Study & Reading Guide: Successful practice of reptile and amphibian medicine and surgery requires broad knowledge of subject areas including natural history, husbandry, anatomy, physiology, pathology, infectious disease biology, epidemiology, and pharmacology. Practitioners must apply this knowledge to species in the Orders Anura, Urodela, Gymnophiona, Chelonia, Rhynchocephalia, Squamata, and Crocodylia. Little of this reptile and amphibian-specific background information is taught in general veterinary medical curricula and new contributions are found in an array of periodicals.
The following list is provided to help guide veterinarians planning to study for the ABVP Reptile and Amphibian Examination. It is not a comprehensive listing of all available material, but rather a guide to facilitate finding information in areas where the candidate does not have extensive experience. Examination questions will be taken from the extant literature and will not be confined to questions only from the work on the list. Not all chapters in listed textbooks are necessarily of significance for the examination. Examination questions based upon journal articles will emphasize current literature of the last five years, although older references may also be included. It is recommended that candidates work with their mentor to prioritize study material within the references suggested.
- Jacobson. 2007. Infectious Diseases and Pathology of Reptiles. CRC Press.
- Mader. (ed) 2005. Reptile Medicine and Surgery, 2nd edition. W.B. Saunders Co.
- Wright, Whitaker. 2001. Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry. Krieger.
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery (formerly Bull ARAV)
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Wildlife Diseases
- Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
- Campbell and Ellis. 2007. Avian and Exotic Animal Hematology and Cytology, 3rd edition. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Fowler (ed). 2008. Zoo and Wild Animal Medicine, 6th ed. W.B. Saunders. [also available as online book]
- Girling SJ, Raiti P (eds). 2004. BSAVA Manual of Reptiles. 2nd ed. British Small Animal Veterinary Association, Quedgeley, Gloucester, England. 383 pages
- McArthur, Wilkinson, Meyer. 2004. Medicine and Surgery of Turtles and Tortoises. Iowa State Press.
- Chelonian Conservation & Biology
- Comparative Medicine (formerly Laboratory Animal Science)
- Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine (formerly Seminars in Avian and Exotic Pet Medicine)
- Journal of Herpetology
- Journal of Parasitology
- Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation
- Journal of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- Veterinary Clinical Pathology
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice
- Veterinary Microbiology
- Veterinary Pathology
- Veterinary Record
Questions on the examination may be taken from sources other than this list. This page updated 6/8/11.
Search the catalog for additional reptile and amphibian resources available at NCSU Libraries.