American Board of Veterinary Practitioners: Feline Practice Study & Reading Guide
Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
|Feline Texts and Journals||Texts|
|Library Tips||More Info|
The ABVP website states "Feline medicine specific publications can be helpful in determining your strengths and weakness and setting up your overall study plan. Candidates should be familiar with all current feline related topics. Material published within the year preceding the exam is not presented in the exam. Suggested texts and journals include:"
- Little S: The Cat: Clinical Medicine and Management, Elsevier, 2011.
- August JR: Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine Volume 6, Volume 5 [V.5 also available online], Elsevier, 2006-2010.
- Norsworthy G: The Feline Patient, 3rd ed. Wiley-Blackwell, 2007
- Rand J: Problem-based Feline Medicine, Elsevier, 2006. [Also available as an online book.]
PubMed search link to all ABVP Feline Practice journals
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
- Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery
- Journal of Feline Medicine and Surgery Clinical Practice - The 'clinical practice' editions of the JFMS (published in January, March, May, July, September and November) priamry contain commissioned review articles.
- Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice
ABVP also states, "Specific literature may help in the understanding of each topic. The following is a partial list of texts available. Additional in-depth material for each category may be accessed online on www.VIN.com. [NB: VIN is free to academic veterinarians and veterinary students.] * This is not an inclusive list.
General Medicine and Surgery
- Bonagura JD, Twedt DC: Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy XIV Elsevier, 2008
- Cote E: Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats, 2nd ed., Mosby, 2011.
- Tilley LP, Smith FW: The Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, 4th ed., Wiley and Sons, 2008
- Birchard SJ, Sherding RG: Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Morgan RV: Handbook of Small Animal Practice, 5th ed., Elsevier, 2008 [also available as an online book]
- Ettinger SJ, Feldman EC: Textbook of veterinary internal medicine: diseases of the dog and cat., 7th ed (2010) Also available 6th ed., 2005
- Nelson RW, Couto CG: Small Animal Internal Medicine, 4th ed., Mosby, 2009
- Schaer M: Clinical Medicine of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., 2010
- Hart BL, Hart LA, Bain M: Canine and Feline Behavioral Therapy, 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2006
- Landsberg G, Hunthausen W, Ackerman L: Handbook of Behavior Problems of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2004
- Horwitz DF, Mills DS, Heath S: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Behavioural Medicine, BSAVA, 2002
- Hortwitz [sic] DF, Neilson JC: Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult Clinical Companion: Canine and Feline Behavior, Blackwell, 2007
- Tilley LP et al: Manual of Canine and Feline Cardiology, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2008 [also available as online book]
- Ware W: Cardiovascular Disease in Small Animal Medicine, Blackwell, 2007
- Feldman EC, Nelson RW: Canine and Feline Endocrinology and Reproduction, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2004
- Mooney CT, Peterson ME: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Endocrinology, 3rd ed., BSAVA, 2004
- Panciera DL, Carr AP: Endocrinology for the Small Animal Practitioner, Teton NewMedia, 2006
- Hall E et al: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Gastroenterology, BSAVA, 2005
- Steiner J: Small Animal Gastroenterology, Blackwell, 2008
- Cowell RL et al: Diagnostic Cytology And Hematology Of The Dog And Cat, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2008
- Tizard IR: Veterinary Immunology: An Introduction, 8th ed., Elsevier, 2008
- Day MJ: Clinical Immunology of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2008
- Greene CE: Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Barr SC, Bowman DD: The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult Clinical Companion, Canine and Feline Infectious Diseases and Parasitology, Blackwell, 2006
- Medleau L, Hnilica KA: Small Animal Dermatology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Gross TL, Ihrke PJ, Walder EJ, et al: Skin Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2005
- Cunningham JG, Klein BG: Textbook of Veterinary Physiology, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2007
- DiBartola SP: Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Disorders, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2006 [also available as online book]
- Houlton J et al: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Musculoskeletal Disorders, BSAVA, 2006
- Hudson L, Hamilton W: Atlas of Feline Anatomy for Veterinarians, WB Saunders 1993. Also 2nd ed., 2010.
- Bagley RS: Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Neurology, Blackwell, 2005
- Jaggy A: Small animal neurology : an illustrated text aka Atlas and Textbook of Small Animal Neurology, 2010
- Pibot P: Encyclopedia of Feline Clinical Nutrition, Royal Canin, 2008
- Buffington T et al: Manual of Veterinary Dietetics, Elsevier, 2004.
- Bellows, J: Feline Dentistry: Oral Assesment, Treatment, and Preventive Care
- Tutt C et al: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Dentistry, 3rd ed., BSAVA, 2007
- Feline Oncology, Ogilvie and Moore, VLS 2001
- Cheville NF: Introduction to Veterinary Pathology, 3rd ed., Blackwell, 2006
- McGavin MD et al: Thomson's Special Veterinary Pathology, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2001
- Plumb D: Veterinary Drug Handbook, 7th ed., Blackwell, 2011
- Boothe DM: Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Elsevier, 2001
- Riviere J, Papich M, Adams HR: Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 9th ed., Iowa State Press, 2009
- [cited as Adams HR: Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 8th ed., Iowa State Press, 2001]
- Feldman EC, Nelson RW: Canine and Feline Endocrinology and Reproduction, 3rd ed, St. Louis, Saunders, 2004
- King LG: Textbook of Respiratory Disease in Dogs and Cats, Elsevier, 2004
- Barnett KC: Diagnostic Atlas of Veterinary Ophthalmology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Dziezyc J, Millichamp NJ: Color Atlas of Canine and Feline Ophthalmology, Elsevier, 2005
- Gelatt KN: Veterinary Ophthalmology 4th ed., Blackwell, 2007
- Gelatt KN: Essentials of Veterinary Ophthalmology 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2008
- Maggs DJ et al: Slatter’s Fundamentals of Veterinary Ophthalmology 4th ed., Elsevier, 2008 [also available as online book]
- Van Haagen AV: Ear, Nose, Throat and Tracheobronchial Diseases in Dogs and Cats, Blackwell Publishing, 2005
- Gotthelf LN: Small Animal Ear Diseases: An Illustrated Guide, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2005
- Fossum TW: Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2007
- Slatter D: Textbook of Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2003
- Gfeller RW, Messonnier SP: Handbook of Small Animal Toxicology & Poisonings, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2004
- Peterson ME, Talcott PA: Small Animal Toxicology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Elliott J, Grauer GF: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Nephrology and Urology, 2nd ed., BSAVA, 2007
- Holt P: Urological Disorders of the Dog and Cat, Blackwell, 2007
- Colville J, Berryhill G: Handbook of Zoonoses - Identification and Prevention, Elsevier, 2007
Search the catalog for additional feline resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Contact the ABVP for the current Practice Study & Reading Guide.