Relevant NCSU CVM Residency Programs: Zoological Medicine
|Library Tips||More Info|
- Anaesthesia of Exotic Pets, Longley L. & New York: Elsevier Saunders, 2008. [also available as an online book.]
- Biology and Diseases of the Ferret, Fox JG, 2nd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1998.
- BSAVA Manual of Rodents and Ferrets, Keeble EJ, Meredith A. Gloucester England:British Small Animal Veterinary Association, 2009
- Clinical Anatomy and Physiology of Exotic Species : Structure and Function of Mammals, Birds, Reptiles, and Amphibians. O'Malley B. Edinburgh & New York: Elsevier Saunders, 2005.
- Clinical Radiology of Exotic Companion Mammals, Capello V, Lennox AM, Widmer WR. Ames, Iowa: Blackwell, 2008
- Exotic pet behavior : birds, reptiles, and small mammals. Bradley Bays T, Lightfoot T, Mayer Joerg. St. Louis, MO. Saunders Elsevier, 2006.
- Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents: Clinical Medicine and Surgery, Quesenberry KE, Carpenter JW, 3rd ed. St Louis: Saunders, 2012. [Also available as online book.]
- Laboratory Medicine : Avian and Exotic pets, Fudge AM. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2000.
- Manual of Exotic Pets. BSAVA Manuals, 5th ed. Meredith A, Redrobe S. Quedgeley: British Small Animal Veterinary Association, 2010. [4th ed. is listed on the reading guide]
- Pathology of Laboratory Rodents and Rabbits, Percy, DH and Barthold SW. 3rd Edition Ames: Blackwell, 2007.
- Rabbit and Rodent Dentistry Handbook, Capello V, Gracis M, Lennox AM (eds). Lake Worth, FL: Zoological Education Network: 2005
- Textbook of Rabbit Medicine, Oxford: Harcourt-Brown F. Butterworth-Heinemann, 2002
Supplementary Reading (questions do not come from these books)
- A colour atlas of the anatomy of small laboratory animals. Popesko P, Rajtova V, Horak J. London: Wolfe Publishing, 1992. (Includes both V. 1 Rabbit, guinea pig. and V. 2 Rat, mouse, golden hamster)
- Colour Atlas Of the Anatomy Of Small Laboratory Animals Volume I: Rabbit and Guinea Pig and Volume II: Rat, Mouse & Golden Hamster, Popesko P, Rajtova V, Horak J. 1990/1992 Elsevier Science ISBN-13: 9780702027031 ISBN: 0702027030
- Laboratory animal medicine, Fox JG, Anderson LC, Loew FM, et al. American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine series. 2nd ed. San Diego: Academic Press, 2002.
- Manual of rabbit medicine and surgery. Meredith A, Flecknell PA. 2nd ed. Quedgeley, Gloucester: British Small Animal Veterinary Association, 2006.
- Radiology of rodents, rabbits and ferrets : an atlas of normal anatomy and positioning. Silverman S, Tell L. Philadelphia: W. B. Saunders, 2005.
Concentrate on 5 years immediately prior to the year of testing.
- American Journal of Veterinary Research ISSN: 0002-9645. Published by American Veterinary Medicine Association.
- Comparative Medicine. ISSN: 1532-0820. Publisher: American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, Memphis, TN.
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association Online ISSN: 1547-3317 Print ISSN: 0587-2871 Publisher: American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, ISSN: 1559-6109. Publisher: American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, Memphis, TN. First volume = 45, No 1, January 2006. It continues Contemporary topics in laboratory animal science. ISSN: 1060-0558. same publisher: Vol 44, No 6, December 2005.
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, ISSN: 0003-1488. Publisher: American Veterinary Medical Association, Chicago, IL.
- Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine, ISSN: 1557-5063. Publisher: Elsevier, New York, NY. First volume starts Vol 15, No 1, January 2006. Continues Seminars in avian and exotic pet medicine. ISSN: 1055-937X. Publisher: WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA (last issue Vol 14, No 4, 2005). It combined with Journal of Exotic Mammal Medicine and Surgery. ISSN: No ISSN number. Publisher: Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians & Veterinary Learning Systems, Yardley, PA (last issue Vol 3, No 2, December 2005)
- Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine, Publisher: American Association of Zoo Veterinarians. Online ISSN: 1937-2825
- Lab Animal ISSN: 0093-7355. Publisher: Nature America Inc, New York, NY.
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice, ISSN: 1094-9194. Publisher: WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
ABVP Symposium - Exotic Companion Mammal - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Proceedings are available at www.vin.com. If you are not a VIN member (free to academia) , please contact the ABVP office to request electronic copies be emailed to you.
Questions on the examination may be taken from sources other than this list.
Search the catalog for additional exotic companion animal resources available at NCSU Libraries.
Contact the ABVP for the current Practice Study & Reading Guide.