American Board of Veterinary Practitioners: Equine Practice Study & Reading Guide
Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
- Equine Medicine Surgery Internship
- Equine Internal Medicine Residency Program
- Anne Forsyth Equine Surgery Residency
- Large Animal Surgery
|Library Tips||More Info|
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian (sign up for free access from the publisher)
- Equine Veterinary Education
- Equine Veterinary Journal
- Journal of Equine Veterinary Science
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
"Pick one medicine, one lameness, one reproduction, and one surgery book since you will not have time to cover all."
- Adams and Stashak's Lameness in Horses, Baxter
- Current Practice of Equine Surgery, 1st edition, White & Moore
- Current Therapy in Equine Medicine, Robinson [also available as an online book]
- Diagnosis and Management of Lameness in the Horse, Ross and Dyson [also available as an online book]
- Diagnostic Techniques in Equine Medicine, Taylor et al. [also available as an online book]
- Equine Dermatology, Scott et al. [also available as an online book]
- Equine Emergencies, Orsini [also available as an online book]
- Equine Internal Medicine, Reed
- Equine Medicine and Surgery, 5th edition, Colahan, Mayhew, Merritt and Moore
- Equine Medicine Secrets, Savage
- Equine Ophthalmology, Gilger [also available as an online book]
- Equine Reproduction, McKinnon et al.
- Equine Surgery, Auer & Stick [also available as an online book]
- Large Animal Internal Medicine, 2nd edition, Smith
- Manual of Equine Reproduction, Brinsko et al.
- Veterinary Laboratory Medicine: Clinical Pathology, Duncan and Prasse
Other references that were found useful to support these primary references or to cover specific disciplines in which the candidate may feel deficient included:
- A clinical pharmacology text (Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics earlier edition was Booth and McDonald, Iowa State Univ. Press)
- A physiology text (Guyton or Ganong)
- An immunology text (Tizard: Veterinary Immunology, Saunders)
- Clinical pathology (Coffman or Meyer & Coles)
- Pocket Companion to Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology [not owned, have complete Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology]
- Proceedings of the American Association of Equine Practitioners
- Veterinary Clinics of North America Equine Practice
Questions on the examination may be taken from sources other than this list.
Successful candidates felt that the most detrimental factors or pitfalls along the way were inconsistent or erratic study habits and a failure to keep up-to-date on current literature.
Search the catalog for additional equine health resources available at NCSU Libraries.
Contact the ABVP for the current Practice Study & Reading Guide.