American Board of Veterinary Practitioners: Canine & Feline Practice Study & Reading Guide
Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
|Library Tips||More Info|
[All wording from ABVP website]: Candidates for ABVP examination usually find recent review articles in journals to be helpful. One of the best sources for current, in-depth review articles is the Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian published by Veterinary Learning Systems. The multiple-choice questions after each article help reinforce the material and have a similar format to the ABVP exam, so test-taking skills can be practiced. Another useful periodical is The Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice.
Research-oriented journals that include topic reviews such as the Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association and the Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association are helpful. Specific research studies are not included in the exam. Candidates should be aware that due to the length of time between formulation of an exam item, validation, and organization into the databank the examination will not reflect very recent research studies. Information from journals in the previous 2-10 year time period is more likely to be covered on the exam.
The Veterinary Information Network has many helpful features for candidates preparing for examination. Continuing education courses, rounds sessions, message boards, abstracts from literature, proceedings, and search capabilities are all available. The ABVP’s message board is listed under Associations and Foundations. The International Veterinary Information Service maintains a library of books, proceedings, and articles. The American Veterinary Medical Association has information on its website and in its members-only section.
The following is a list of topics typically covered on the examination along with suggested textbooks. The newest editions of these texts are recommended, and other recently published books may also be helpful. Candidates are not expected to purchase or read all of these texts; emphasis should be on the areas of medicine and surgery where candidates feel deficient.
- Hart BL, Hart LA, Bain M: Canine and Feline Behavioral Therapy, 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2006
- Horwitz DF, Mills DS, Heath S: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Behavioural Medicine, BSAVA, 2002 [2nd ed. 2009 also available]
- Horwitz DF, Neilson JC: Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult Clinical Companion: Canine and Feline Behavior, Blackwell, 2007 [NB: Cited on list as "Hortwitz"]
- Landsberg G, Hunthausen W, Ackerman L: Handbook of Behavior Problems of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2004 [3rd ed. 2012 also available]
- Tilley LP et al: Manual of Canine and Feline Cardiology, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2008 [also available as online book]
- Ware W: Cardiovascular Disease in Small Animal Medicine, Blackwell, 2007
- Feldman EC, Nelson RW: Canine and Feline Endocrinology and Reproduction, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2004
- Mooney CT, Peterson ME: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Endocrinology, 3rd ed., BSAVA, 2004 (Library copy of 3rd ed. MISSING) [4th ed. 2012 available]
- Panciera DL, Carr AP: Endocrinology for the Small Animal Practitioner, Teton NewMedia, 2006
- Hall E et al: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Gastroenterology, BSAVA, 2005
- Steiner J: Small Animal Gastroenterology, Blackwell, 2008 [also available as an online book]
- Tams TR: Handbook of Small Animal Gastroenterology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2003
- Bonagura JD, Twedt DC: Kirk’s Current Veterinary Therapy XIV and XIII: Small Animal Practice, Elsevier, 2008 and 2000.
- Cote E: Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats, 2nd. ed. Mosby, 2011.
- Tilley LP, Smith FW: The Five-Minute Veterinary Consult: Canine and Feline, 5th ed., Wiley and Sons, 2011
General Medicine and Surgery
- Birchard SJ, Sherding RG: Saunders Manual of Small Animal Practice, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Morgan RV: Handbook of Small Animal Practice, 5th ed., Elsevier, 2008 [also available as an online book]
- Ackerman L: Genetic Connection: A Guide to Health Problems in Purebred Dogs, 2nd ed. AAHA, 2011.
- Cowell RL et al: Diagnostic Cytology And Hematology Of The Dog And Cat, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2008
- Day MJ, Mackin A, Littlewood JD: Manual of Canine and Feline Hematology and Transfusion Medicine, BSAVA, 2000
- Tizard IR: Veterinary Immunology: An Introduction, 8th ed., Elsevier, 2008
- Day MJ: Clinical Immunology of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2008
- Barr SC, Bowman DD: The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult Clinical Companion, Canine and Feline Infectious Diseases and Parasitology, Blackwell, 2006
- Greene CE: Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2012 [NB: list says 5th ed. is 2012]
- Blackwell's Five-Minute Veterinary Consult Clinical Companion: Small Animal Dermatology, 2nd. ed. Blackwell, 2011.
- Foil C, Foster A: BSAVA Manual of Small Animal Dermatology, 2nd ed., BSAVA, 2003
- Gross TL, Ihrke PJ, Walder EJ, et al: Skin Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2005
- Medleau L, Hnilica KA: Small Animal Dermatology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Scott DW, Miller WH, Griffin CE: Muller & Kirk’s Small Animal Dermatology, 6th ed., Elsevier, 2001
- August JR: Consultations in Feline Internal Medicine 6, Elsevier, 2010.
- Ettinger SJ, Feldman EC: Textbook of veterinary internal medicine: diseases of the dog and cat., 7th ed. Elsevier 2011.
- Nelson RW, Couto CG: Small Animal Internal Medicine, 4th ed., Mosby, 2009
- Schaer M: Clinical Medicine of the Dog and Cat, Iowas State Press, 2003. [2nd ed., 2010 also available]
- Cunningham JG, Klein BG: Textbook of Veterinary Physiology, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2007
- DiBartola SP: Fluid, Electrolyte, and Acid-Base Disorders, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2006 [also available as online book]
- Willard MD, Tvedten H: Small Animal Clinical Diagnosis by Laboratory Methods 4th ed., Elsevier, 2004. [5th ed. 2012 also available]
- Fossum TW: Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2007. [4th ed. 2013 also available]
- Houlton J et al: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Musculoskeletal Disorders, BSAVA, 2006
- Piermattei DL et al: Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair, 4th ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Slatter D: Textbook of Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2003
- Bagley RS: Fundamentals of Veterinary Clinical Neurology, Blackwell, 2005
- Chrisman C: Neurology for the Small Animal Practitioner, Teton New Media, 2002
- Jaggy A: Small animal neurology : an illustrated text aka Atlas and Textbook of Small Animal Neurology, 2010
- Oliver JE, Lorenz MD, Kornegay JN: Handbook of Veterinary Neurology, 5th ed., Elsevier, 2011. [also available as online book]
- Platt S, Olby N: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Neurology, BSAVA, 2004
- Buffington T et al: Manual of Veterinary Dietetics, Elsevier, 2004.
- Hand MS et al: Small Animal Clinical Nutrition, 5th ed., Mark Morris Institute, 2011.
- Bellows J: The Practice of Veterinary Dentistry: A Team Effort, Iowa State Press, 1999
- Gorrel C: Veterinary Dentistry for the General Practitioner, St. Louis, Elsevier Saunders, 2004
- Tutt C et al: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Dentistry, 3rd ed., BSAVA, 2007
- Wiggs RB, Lobprise HB: Veterinary Dentistry, Lippincott-Raven, 1999
- Cheville NF: Introduction to Veterinary Pathology, 3rd ed., Blackwell, 2006
- McGavin MD et al: Thomson's Special Veterinary Pathology, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2001
- Boothe DM: Small Animal Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Elsevier, 2011
- Riviere J, Papich M, Adams HR: Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 9th ed., Iowa State Press, 2009
- Feldman EC, Nelson RW: Canine and Feline Endocrinology and Reproduction, 3rd ed, St. Louis, Saunders, 2004
- Johnston DS, Kustritz MVR, Olson PNS: Canine and Feline Theriogenology, Philadelphia, WB Saunders Co., 2001
- King LG: Textbook of Respiratory Disease in Dogs and Cats, Elsevier, 2004
- Barnett KC: Diagnostic Atlas of Veterinary Ophthalmology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Dziezyc J, Millichamp NJ: Color Atlas of Canine and Feline Ophthalmology, Elsevier, 2005
- Gelatt KN: Essentials of Veterinary Ophthalmology 2nd ed., Blackwell, 2008
- Gelatt KN: Veterinary Ophthalmology 4th ed., Blackwell, 2007
- Gotthelf LN: Small Animal Ear Diseases: An Illustrated Guide, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2005
- Harvey RG et al: Ear Diseases of the Dog and Cat, Iowa State Press, 2001
- Jones SP, Crispin S: BSAVA Manual of Small Animal Ophthalmology, 2nd ed., BSAVA, 2002
- Maggs DJ et al: Slatter’s Fundamentals of Veterinary Ophthalmology 4th ed., Elsevier, 2008 [also available as online book]
- Van Haagen AV: Ear, Nose, Throat and Tracheobronchial Diseases in Dogs and Cats, Blackwell Publishing, 2005
- Fossum TW: Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2007 [4th ed. 2013 also available]
- Slatter D: Textbook of Small Animal Surgery, 3rd ed., Elsevier, 2003
- Gfeller RW, Messonnier SP: Handbook of Small Animal Toxicology & Poisonings, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2004
- Peterson ME, Talcott PA: Small Animal Toxicology, 2nd ed., Elsevier, 2006
- Elliott J, Grauer GF: BSAVA Manual of Canine and Feline Nephrology and Urology, 2nd ed., BSAVA, 2007
- Holt P: Urological Disorders of the Dog and Cat, Blackwell, 2007
- Colville J, Berryhill G: Handbook of Zoonoses - Identification and Prevention, Elsevier, 2007
- Hugh-Jones ME et al: Zoonoses: Recognition, Control, and Prevention, Iowa State Press, 2000
PubMed search link to all ABVP Canine and Feline Practice journals
(Use PubMed's Publication dates: "Custom Range..." option on the left to enter the years you need to review for your exam.)
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Compendium on Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian
- Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
- Veterinary Clinics of North America Small Animal Practice
Search the catalog for additional canine and feline resources available at NCSU Libraries.
“This is only a convenience copy of the reading list to help find copies of reading materials in the NCSU Libraries. It does not replace the official reading list. Candidates are responsible for ensuring they use the latest reading list.”
Contact the ABVP for the current Practice Study & Reading Guide.