American Board of Veterinary Practitioners: Avian Practice
Related residency and internship programs at NCSU CVM:
|Library Tips||More Info|
Examination items will be taken in large part from the sources designated in the recommended reading list. Additional citations for examination items may include veterinary informational sources common to multiple species, such as (the most current editions of) Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook, and the Merck Veterinary Manual.
- American Journal of Veterinary Research
- Avian Diseases
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Journal of Avian Medicine and Surgery formerly known as Journal of the Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Journal of Exotic Pet Medicine
- Journal of Wildlife Diseases
- Journal of Zoo and Wildlife Medicine
- The Veterinary Clinics of North America: Exotic Animal Practice
ABVP recognizes the scarcity of several of these texts. Please bear in mind that these are recommended, not required, and that most information in monographs can be located in more than one publication.
- Atlas of Avian Radiographic Anatomy. Smith and Smith, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1992.
- Atlas of Diagnostic Radiology of Exotic Pets. G. A. Rubel, E. Isenbugel, P. Wolvekamp. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1991.
- Atlas of Radiographic Anatomy and Diagnosis of Cage Birds. M.E. Krautwald et al. Paul Parey, Scientific Publishers, Berlin and Hamburg, 1992.
- Avian Anatomy, a Color Atlas of, J. McLelland, W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1991.
- Avian and Exotic Animal Hematology and Cytology, 3rd edition. Campbell and Ellis. 2007. Wiley-Blackwell.
- Avian Medicine. 2nd edition. Samour. 2008. Mosby. (NB: First edition listed on reading list)
- Avian Medicine and Surgery. Altman. 1997. WB Saunders, Philadelphia, PA.
- Avian Medicine: Principles and Application. Ritchie, Harrison and Harrison (Eds) 1994 Wingers Publishing, Lake Worth, Fl, 33466.
- Avian Surgical Anatomy. S.E. Orosz, P.K. Ensley, C.J. Haynes. W.B. Saunders Co., Philadelphia, 1992.
- Avian viruses: Function and Control. Ritchie. 1995. Wingers Publishing.
- Birds, Their Structure and Function, 2nd edition. King, McLelland. 1984. Bailliere Tindall.
- BSAVA Manual of Psittacine Birds, 2nd Edition by John Chitty and Nigel Harcourt-Brown, May 1, 2005.
- Clinical Avian Medicine. 2 volume set. Harrison, Lightfoot. 2006. Spix.
- Diseases of Poultry, 12th ed., Iowa State University Press, 2008. [also available as online book] (NB: 10th edition listed on reading list)
- Diseases & Disorders of the Domestic Fowl & Turkey, Color Atlas of, second edition. C.J. Randall, Iowa State University Press, 1991.
- Exotic Animal Formulary, 3rd Edition. Carpenter, JW, Saunders, 2004. [NB: 4th edition 2013 also available]
- Exotic Pet Behavior - Birds, Reptiles and Small Mammals, Bradley Bays, T, Lightfoot TL, Mayer, JM, Elsevier 2006.
- Manual of Avian Medicine, Olsen G, Orosz S. Mosby, 1999.
- Manual of Avian Practice, Rupley A, Saunders, 1997.
- Manual of Parrot Behavior, Luescher A (ed), Blackwell, 2006.
- Pathology of Pet and Aviary Birds. Robert Schmidt, Drury Reavill, David Phalen, Blackwell Publishing Co., Iowa State Press, 2003.
- Psittacine Aviculture, Perspectives, Techniques and Research, R.M. Schubot, K.J. Clubb, S.L. Clubb, Aviculture Breeding and Research center, Loxahatchee Florida, 1992.
- Radiology of Birds. Sam Silverman and Lisa Tell, Saunders Elsevier. [also available as online book]
- Ratite Management, Medicine and Surgery, Tully, TN, Simon, SM, 1996, Krieger.
- Self-Assessment Color Review of Avian Medicine, Robert B. Altman, Neil A. Forbes (Eds), 1998.
- Sturkie's Avian Physiology, 5th edition. Sturkie. 2000. Academic Press.
Questions on the examination may be taken from sources other than this list.
Search the catalog for additional avian resources available at NCSU Libraries.
Contact the ABVP for the current Practice Study & Reading Guide.