Fill-in-the-blank tool for creating single citations in MLA or APA that can be copied and pasted into your document.
Citation Style Guides
See the print manuals at the Learning Commons service desk, or
National Archives of the United States
Reference Management Software
- Free to NC State users and alumni.
- Accessible from anywhere via the web.
- NCSU Libraries' offers RefWorks workshops.
- Good for managing records for articles and books.
- Allows users to share citations.
- Users may download optional add-ons: Write 'n Cite (an MSWord plug-in) for automatically creating footnotes and reference lists; RefGrab-It for capturing web pages.
- Free, open source, easy to learn.
- Available as Firefox browser or standalone.
- Good for capturing citation information from web documents.
- Can store PDFs.
- Allows user to highlight text and take notes.
- Allows users to tag records.
- Offers MSWord Plugin.
- Free, must be installed on computer.
- Easy to learn.
- Good for managing PDFs - can extract citation information from PDFs.
- Users can see what others are reading and citing.
- Costs money.
- Relatively complex to learn.
- Includes sophisticated tools for organizing and citing references, and creating bibliographies.
- Highly customizable.
- Can handle large numbers of references.