Subject: Nuclear Reactor Building,
Enclosed is a revised drawing showing the main floor of the Nuclear Reactor
Building. This indicates the possible changes which could be made to reduce
the cost of the building an estimated $105,000, to a total of $375,000. These
changes will not affect the exterior appearance of the structure except for
the elimination of the granite facing for the tower.
Please note that the Reactor, Reactor Room, Exhaust Ducts, Tower and other
fundamental requirements remain as originally designed and their safety or
use would not be impaired.
The changes include the following:
1. The laboratory rooms now total six where previously we had thirteen.
2. Revised finishes throughout to eliminate, glazed tile of areas not to be
used for the laboratories, suspended ceiling in reactor room, plaster
where not essential for safety, and decorative wood paneling in the public
HOLD3. Omission of two large storage rooms in the basement.
4. Reduction of the intake ventilating air system to the barest essentials.
iplification of the entire exhaust and waste disposal system made
feasible by the elimination of one half of the laboratories.
6. Reducing to a minimum the exterior retaining walls and ramps.
7. Elimination of various other items such as lightproof shades, storage
cubicles, storage tubes, etc.
Attached hereto is a recapitulation of the construction costs as bid on
Nuclear Reactor Building
|Ventilation Air Conditioning||143,862||26,300|
|Revision in Gas Line||$ 55.38|
|Reactor Floor & Base||19,540.00|
|Reactor Base Exterior||281.60|
|Architect's Fee 5%||22,878.65||17,782.00|