SCRC Home

Using Materials

Collecting Areas

Donate Materials

University Archives

 

Collections

Collection Guides

Digitized Collection

 

Contact Us

Phone: (919) 515-2273

Contact us via the web

SCRC staff

Architectural Records Survey of Private Collections

Collections not available to the researching public

The following collections sample the variety of private collection of architectural records in North Carolina.  Some collections are available for research by appointment only, others are not.  Contact information listed may not be complete due to owner privacy.

ASHEVILLE

BURLINGTON CONCORD GREENSBORO RALEIGH TARBORO WILMINGTON

ASHEVILLE

Asheville City Schools - Maintenance Department
PO Box 7347
16 South Biltmore Avenue
Asheville, NC 28802

The maintenance department retains copies (generally blueprints) of all school properties including Asheville High School by Douglas Ellington and the Claxton School by Ronald Greene.

City of Asheville - Historic Properties Commission
P.O. Box 7148
Asheville, NC 28802
704/259-5836

Richard Sharp Smith Collection (very limited access)

Collection of over 2,000 original drawings for over 700 projects in and around Asheville. Drawings include design work, sketches, details, renderings and floor plans. There is limited work on Biltmore Estate. Includes work of Richard Sharp Smith and the firm of Smith & Carrier. The Commission completed complete list of the drawings, listed by type of building and indexed by client.

BURLINGTON

Roche Biomedical Laboratories
348 South Main Street
Burlington, NC 27215
800/331-2843

Complete set of original drawings and renderings for the Atlantic Bank and Trust building, Burlington designed by Charles Hartmann, 1928. The drawings were collected and purchased by Roche for the restoration of the building.

CONCORD

First Presbyterian Church
P.O. Box 789
Concord, NC 28026
704/788-2100

The First Presbyterian Church retains original 1926 blueprints by Hobart Upjohn for the church and surrounding buildings. Includes details, floor plans, elevations, seating plans. Also includes mylar reproductions of blueprints. Also includes 1983 church school building renovations by George A. Griffin; sites plans and floor plans by John Erwin Ramsay, FAIA, undated. Also includes blueprints for the replacement of the spire by Hobart Upjohn in 1936.

GREENSBORO

Jefferson-Pilot Life Insurance Company
P.O. Box 21008
Greensboro, NC 27420
910/691-3313
Complete set of original ink on linen drawings for the Jefferson Standard Building by Charles Hartmann, 1922.

RALEIGH

Capital Area Preservation, Inc.
One Mimosa Street
Raleigh, NC 27604
919/834-4844

Restoration and Building Files

Files contain limited correspondence on restoration and moving of the buildings on the grounds of Mordecai Historical Park. Includes site plans done by the City Parks and Recreation Department from the 1970s and 80s. Also includes blueprints for the Badger-Iredell Law Office, restoration by Dodge & Beckwith, 1975; photographs for the Andrew Johnson birthplace move, 1970s; and specifications for the restoration of the Mordecai House, 1970, by Dodge & Beckwith.

Scrapbook Collection

Several scrapbooks documenting Mordecai Historical Park and various other projects of Capital Area Preservation, (chiefly news clippings).

The Historic Preservation Foundation of North Carolina, Inc.
PO Box 27644
101 St. Mary's Street
Raleigh, NC 27611-7644

Original rendering and plan (framed) of Montrose house at Hillsborough by A. J. Davis, ca. 1850.

Carolina Cooperative Extension Service
(formerly the North Carolina Agricultural Extension Service)
210 Ricks Hall
Campus Box 7605
Raleigh, NC 27695-7605
919/515-2770

Old North Carolina Plans

The Cooperative Extension Service holds original tracings of 19 different house plans distributed by the service dating from the 1950s. Includes numerous revisions to these plans done in the 1970s, however, most plans are undated and unsigned. Also includes original tracings for the Craven County Agricultural Building (undated and unsigned), and the 4-H Camp Bunk House (undated and unsigned).

United States Department of Agriculture, Cooperative Extension Service Plans

Collection of copies of USDA, Cooperative Extension Service plans (Book 1 and Book 2) developed and distributed by other states (1940s-present).

State Construction Office, State of North Carolina
Suite 450
301 North Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27601-2827
919/733-7962

State-owned Building Files

The state construction office maintains microfilmed copies of all construction drawings for state-owned buildings, 1900-present. All original drawings are held by the respective state agency who owns the building. The state construction office owns drawings for all buildings owned by the State Department of Administration. Contracts and specifications for state-owned buildings are turned over to the state archives according to a retention schedule.

Final Report Collection

Collection of original Final Reports for all state construction projects dating to 1900. Reports provide a synopsis of the entire project.

Construction Project Database

The state construction office maintains an computerized database on the status of all current state construction projects.

TARBORO

Calvary Episcopal Church
Tarboro, NC

Original rendering (framed) of Calvary Episcopal Church by William Percival, 1860. Only known Percival rendering to survive.

WILMINGTON
 
Bellamy Mansion Museum of History and Design
Market Street
Wilmington, NC 28406
910/251-3700

Restoration Drawings
Complete set of restoration drawings by Boney Architects, 1994. Chiefly mechanical and electrical drawings.

Bellamy Mansion Rendering
Small rendering of the Bellamy Mansion, ca. 1859, by Rufus Bunnell, assistant to James Post, architect.

Saint James Episcopal Church
Third Street
Wilmington, NC
910/763-1628

Includes a set of Brite & Bacon drawings for Donald McRae house. Also includes original sketch of the apse of the church as originally designed.

First Presbyterian Church
125 South Third Street
Wilmington, NC 28401

The First Presbyterian Church owns the following drawings of the church by Hobart Upjohn, constructed in 1926-27.

Blueprints:

Balcony Nave, 1927
Vestibule Screen, details, 1927
Spire Framing, 1927
Details of Doors, 1926
Framed set of floor plans of the church

Original Renderings (pencil), 1926
3 views of the educational building
1 interior view of the chapel

1 exterior view, signed by O. F. Langmann, Del.

Copied Renderings: Interior Sanctuary