The Edwin F. Harris Papers (MC 00258) have been reprocessed for greater collection accessibility and to acknowledge the breadth of experience this alumnus brought to his former position as North Carolina State University's first University Architect.
Edwin F. Harris, nicknamed "Abie," was born January 7, 1934, in Elkin, North Carolina. He graduated from Elkin High School in 1952 and enrolled at the North Carolina State College, School of Design (later North Carolina State University, College of Design) to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in architecture. He graduated with honors in 1957. Harris was awarded the 45th Paris Prize in Architecture in 1958 which he used to travel to Paris, after a period of Army service. After returning from Paris, he became a lecturer at the NCSU School of Design and joined Leif Valand and Associates as an Architect-in-Training. In 1966 he was a co-founder and partner of Harris & Burns, Architects (1966-1968) and then a co-founder and principle for Envirotek, Inc. (1969-1974). In 1966, Harris also joined the campus planning department at NCSU. In 1970 he became Director of Facilities Planning and in 1980 University Architect. In addition to being an avid runner, Edwin F. Harris spent much of his spare time participating in design competitions and serving as a consultant on various projects. His honors include the grand prize in a planning competition for the University of Miami in 1986, his election as an American Institute of Architects Fellow in 1987, and the 9th Annual Frank B. Turner Award in 1991.
The collection contains drawings, blueprints, maps, correspondence, photographs, and other documents, 1957-2014, related to Harris's professional career. It reflects Harris’s work as an architect and consultant on a number of university campus planning projects and commercial and residential building projects. During his more than two decades of employment with NC State University, Harris contributed to the design and construction of many portions of the university, including Centennial Campus and the College of Veterinary Medicine. Harris also contributed to the design of several commercial buildings in North Carolina’s Research Triangle and buildings on other North Carolina university campuses. These projects include the Carolina Theatre and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Durham, the YMCA at Guilford College in Greensboro, and the Professional Center at Wake Forest University.
To see any of the materials in this collection, please contact the Special Collections Research Center at .